---- Remainder of received messages follows ----

From: seismo!mcvax!enea!kuling!andersa@ihnp4.UUCP (Anders Andersson)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 85 19:12:24 -0200

I don't read net.flame (I don't even think it's distributed to Europe, however
we get a lot of it because of the cross-postings everywhere else).

It seems that "net.flame" is used mainly as a pure *attribute* in the list  of
newsgroups, and not as a newsgroup itself.  I can't see how there could be any
reason to *start* a discussion in net.flame (about  what?)!  So,  people  just
add  that little string "net.flame" in the header to tell others that they are
angry at something or somebody, when they follow up to a  posting  in  another
("real")  newsgroup.  Probably they won't remove the original newsgroup(s), as
they are usually convinced that their complaints are at least as  fit  as  the
rubbish  they  are  complaining about.  As a result, the usefulness of the Net
diminishes *radically*.

I think it's a very bad idea to start newsgroups to hold a certain  *kind*  of
articles,  such as flames.  It's about as appropriate as newsgroups for *long*
articles, or for *indented* ones, or *rotated*, or...  Newsgroups should cover
subjects,  more or less specialized!  It might seem useful in the beginning to
have net.flame for things you don't like, but it won't work in the  long  run,
as we can see.  People can't see what these groups are all about (and that's a
correct observation), and so they go using it as a header  attribute  instead!
I  have  about  the  same experience from other electronic conference systems,
independent of USENET News.

Sometimes you could be  lucky  with  an  articles-of-a-kind  newsgroup,  maybe
net.jokes  fall into this category?  I don't know, I don't read it either.  To
work, its subscribers should preferrably not have  keyboardmania!  Other  such
groups  might  be net.general, net.followup, net.announce and net.misc.  Their
common denominator is that they cover no subject.  Strong  moderation,  either
implemented  or "socially imposed" (does that cover net.announce maybe?), seem
to have some effect also.

Net.jokes.d is an indication that net.jokes didn't work as well  as  expected,
at least.

Another problem is, once these groups are established, they are probably  very
difficult  to  get rid of.  Well, net.flame goes everywhere anyway, so nobody,
not even the flamers themselves, would take notice if it  was  removed  (touch
wood)...

You certainly don't get rid of bad manners by piling them up.

Anders Andersson;...!seismo!mcvax!enea!kuling!andersa

----------

From: ihlpg!jeand@ihnp4.UUCP
Date: 8 Jul 85 16:04:55 CDT (Mon)

I think that it [net.flame] would have two main purposes:

1) to provide a forum for heated (not necessarily name-calling, but nasty just
the  same)  debate  on  any  topic  when  it  gets  too hot in the appropriate
newsgroup (a place for the arguers to "duke it out".)

2) to provide a place for people to "dump", like the  msg  that  I  read  this
morning  from a guy who was at a restaurant where a child was being allowed to
rampage.  I don't think, as I have seen some suggest, that this sort of  stuff
should  be sent to /dev/null.  If it were true that just "writing it all down"
was sufficient to relieve frustration, then I could write it  all  down  on  a
sheet  of  paper and then shred it.  I think it's the idea of communicating to
another human being that gives it any purpose whatsoever.

I think the best proposal that I have yet heard is  to  keep  nut.flame  local
(how  about an enforced state-wide distribution?) I'm not sure about having it
machine-local, as the user base at a particular machine may be so small as  to
cause some problems (how about flaming over the affirmative action, and having
a supervisor who is sensitive on that particular topic?)

AMBAR

----------

From: dcdwest!ittvax!decvax!sunybcs!colonel@sdcsvax.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman)
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 85 11:29:53 edt

As I understand it,  net.flame  was  originally  for  non-personal  criticism:
manufacturers,  products,  standards,  ideas,  and  so  on.  The criticism was
typically not  corrective  and  was  of  interest  to  users  in  general.  By
convention, writers used language as strong as they liked.

This was a convenient use for net.flame, since it allowed angry users to  vent
their feelings.  That feature is now the defining characteristic of net.flame.
Writers may attack anything at all, including one another, without  regard  to
whether  the  attack will interest the public.  There is still no law of libel
in net.flame, and there is no longer  a  law  of  courtesy.  The  old  product
criticisms have been absorbed into various appropriate other newsgroups.

----------

From: Andrew Scott Beals <bandy@lll-crg.ARPA>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 85 15:01:35 pdt
Geographic-Location: Ground Zero, in my office, Livermore CA

Why to flame about anything that you want without people bitching at you
and getting upset and causing your sa (me) hassles...
	andy

--
UUCP: {akgua allegra ihnp4 hplabs sdcsvax trwrb cbosgd}!sdcrdcf!faigin
ARPA: sdcrdcf!faigin@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA --or-- sdcrdcf!faigin@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

W: SDC, 2500 Colorado MD 52-46; Santa Monica CA 90406; (213) 820-4111 x6493
H: 11743 Darlington Avenue #9; Los Angeles CA 90049; (213) 826-3357

The views and opinions expressed in  this message are not necessarily those of
my  employer,  except  the janitor who agrees with everything I write.  I hope
for his early recovery and release.

scott@cstvax.UUCP (Scott Larnach) (11/16/85)

A quick scan across a couple of newsgroups today produced the following:

-----
-----
> From: rsk@pucc-j (Wombat)
> From: jrm@wdl1.UUCP
> From: beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (JB)
> ******************** FLAME ON:
> Well excuuuuse me, you arrogant little twerp.  I thought net.sources
> ******************** FLAME STILL ON, you little twerp.
-----

[ The above is a digest, not an inclusion. It is the first and
  hopefully the last volume of the ABUSIVE-INSULTS digest ]

 It seems to me that this little treasure trove is an eloquent enough
 argument against flames.  I suspect most of the people on the net are
 like me in that they don't want to spend most of their time wading
 through this kind of abusive and uncivilised crud.  "unsubscribe to
 net.flame" I hear you say.  None of this was taken from net.flame.
 But the influence is unmistakable.  It is interesting to note also
 that at least one of the contributers to this "digest" seems to think
 that abuse and insult is justified by including the word "flame" in
 the posting.  This is the net.flame mentality which is manifestly
 *not* being confined to that newsgroup.

 So this is a vote against flaming.  Faced with the above (and not a
 smiley to be seen - these guys are *serious*) it seems the only way
 to go.

 I plead "stamp out flaming before it stamps the net out".  And I vote
 for the removal of net.flame.  It is infecting other newsgroups and
 generally making reading the news a pain.  I want to read articles
 that have informative content, whether it be ideas or facts.
 Thoughtful *argument* is acceptable, fighting not.  You want a fight,
 take up boxing or join the army.  Keep it off the net, please.
--
Scott Larnach			Janet: scott@uk.ac.ed.cstvax
Edinburgh Unix Support		Arpa:  scott@cstvax.ed.ac.uk