[net.unix-wizards] Answers to origins of UNIX and RC

mp (05/13/83)

Some answers to recent questions, dredged up from my usenet archives...

Subject: Origin of UNIX
Newsgroups: fa.unix-wizards
>From dan@BBN-UNIX Wed Oct 28 11:48:57 1981
UNIX was named by analogy with Multics (Multiplexed Information
and Computing System), whose development began at about the same time,
and which was originally a joint Bell/GE/MIT project. The name
was intended to contrast the UNIX philosophy of providing a small,
unified system whose elements could be readily combined
with what Bell people perceived as the Multics attitude
of providing many individual commands, each with many options,
to perform different functions. Or so Brian Kernighan told me
when I asked him (more or less).

          Dan Franklin

Subject: rc etymology
Newsgroups: fa.unix-wizards
>From CSVAX.dmr@Berkeley Sat Oct 31 16:58:15 1981
The name 'rc' comes from RUNCOM, which was the rough equivalent
on the MIT CTSS system of what Unix calls shell scripts.  Of course
RUNCOM derives from 'run commands.'

Yet another piece of evidence for my thesis that Unix is a modern
version of CTSS.  (I said it ca. 1973, so 'modern' is questionable.)
Any who used '. SAVED' will have no trouble conquering the Shell.
Noel I. Morris, do you still live?
		Your indefatigable historian,
		Dennis Ritchie