[comp.sys.sun] increasing RAM memory available to a large process

bruce@central.sun.com (Bruce Samuelson) (07/27/89)

I would like to make more RAM memory available to a memory-intensive
process than Unix is willing to dole out, in order to reduce its virtual
memory paging.  Can this be done, possibly by reconfiguring the kernel?

The process I'm running is Smalltalk.  The most Unix ever gives it is only
40%-50% of the total available memory, even if there is nothing else going
on except mostly idle background daemons.  Shouldn't it be possible to
give it 80% or 90%?  The Sun engineer we talked to did not offer a
technique for doing this.  He did suggest that we buy more memory, but we
don't currently have the money.

Equipment			: 4  MB 3/50s running SunOS 3.2
Total available memory		: 3.3MB (4MB - size of kernel and disk buffs)
Max mem avail for large process : 1.6MB
Size of large process		: 4-5MB typically

Bruce Samuelson			Dept. of Foreign Languages & Linguistics
...uunet!texbell!utafll!bruce	Univ. of Texas, Arlington

rodney@taac.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) (08/15/89)

In article <628@brazos.Rice.edu> utacfd!utafll!bruce@central.sun.com
(Bruce Samuelson) writes:

BS> I would like to make more RAM memory available to a
BS> memory-intensive process than Unix is willing to dole out, in
BS> order to reduce its virtual memory paging.  Can this be done,
BS> possibly by reconfiguring the kernel?

BS> Equipment			: 4  MB 3/50s running SunOS 3.2
BS> Total available memory	: 3.3MB
BS> Max mem avail for large process : 1.6MB
BS> Size of large process	: 4-5MB typically

Hm.  We have a sun4 here with similar questions.  It has 128meg of memory
(yes, really, it's 128meg ram and 3.2gbyte of disk).

Many of the programs we run are upwards of 12 meg.  Unix will only let
them have 8 meg at a time though.  Is there a reason for this or can we
fix it by reconfiguring the kernel?

--
Rodney