[comp.sys.sun] SUN Ethernet problems

cy@attctc.dallas.tx.us (Cyrus Foughty) (08/02/89)

We have a network of 16 SUNs with two servers (3/280's).  We continually
get the error message "NFS server not responding", then after a second the
next  message appears telling us it is now working. Also at certain times
the network just slows down to the point that scrolling in "vi" takes
several seconds. I know the descriptions are pretty ethereal, but any
general tuning tips or ideas would help. BTW, we are running SUNOS 3.5.

cy
{ames,decwrl}!killer!cy
MaBell: 214.578.8837
Don't Panic.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (08/15/89)

In article <641@brazos.Rice.edu> cy@attctc.dallas.tx.us (Cyrus Foughty) writes:

>We have a network of 16 SUNs with two servers (3/280's).  We continually
>get the error message "NFS server not responding", then after a second the
>next  message appears telling us it is now working. Also at certain times
>the network just slows down to the point that scrolling in "vi" takes
>several seconds. I know the descriptions are pretty ethereal, but any
>general tuning tips or ideas would help. BTW, we are running SUNOS 3.5.

We got that a lot too until we upgraded to 4.x It seems the timeout is now
longer. I don't know if it can be changed on 3.5 or not.

Russ Poffenberger
Schlumberger Technologies
poffen@sj.ate.slb.com