[net.news.group] Why do they proscribe these groups?

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (11/13/85)

In article <1131@jhunix.UUCP> ins_akaa@jhunix.ARPA (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) writes:
>PS: I am pleased to announce that Johns Hopkins no longer prohibits reading
>of net.news or net.news.group, though other groups such as most other
>net.news.* subgroups and net.unix are still on the proscribed list.

Why do JH do this?  I'd be very interested to see a copy of the proscription
list, with the reasons for the groups being proscribed, and which categories
of users are prohibited from reading which groups.

							Kay.
--
"Be careful: the system is complex and chaotic, though it
 has many attractive features..."

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/16/85)

> Why do JH do this?  I'd be very interested to see a copy of the proscription
> list, with the reasons for the groups being proscribed, and which categories
> of users are prohibited from reading which groups.

The Engineering Computing Facility has its head up its posterior and
its been that way since its inception.  An exemplary policy of theirs
was to shut the UNIX machine used by nearly everyone in the departments
for text processing during the last week of the semester and the finals
period (of course, this is when everyone is writing their papers) in order
to do site preparation on a yet to be delivered VMS machine.

I'm probably not going to offend anyone down there since they don't bother
to read net.news.group.