[comp.sys.sun] crypt et al for SunOS 4.0 export

parker@eric.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) (07/13/89)

Does anyone know how/if I can get the encryption software for the *export*
version of SunOS 4.0? The local Sun office says no dice, but I figure Free
Trade must give us Canadians *something*! Anyone at Sun listening here who
might be able to help?

Thanks,

Ross Parker      uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker       |
Microtel Pacific Research Ltd.			| You can't erase the dream,
Burnaby, B.C.,					| you can only wake me up...
Canada, eh?					|

perl%step@uunet.uu.net (Robert Perlberg) (08/02/89)

In article <157@brazos.Rice.edu>, parker@eric.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) writes:
> Does anyone know how/if I can get the encryption software for the *export*
> version of SunOS 4.0? The local Sun office says no dice, but I figure Free
> Trade must give us Canadians *something*! Anyone at Sun listening here who
> might be able to help?

Free Trade has little to do with it.  There's a federal law which
prohibits the export of encryption devices.

Robert Perlberg
Dean Witter Reynolds Inc., New York
phri!{dasys1 | philabs | mancol}!step!perl
	-- "I am not a language ... I am a free man!"

raob@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (Richard Oxbrow) (08/19/89)

In article <722@brazos.Rice.edu> number1!perl%step@uunet.uu.net (Robert Perlberg) writes:

>In article <157@brazos.Rice.edu>, parker@eric.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) writes:
>> Does anyone know how/if I can get the encryption software for the *export*
>> version of SunOS 4.0? The local Sun office says no dice, but I figure Free
>> Trade must give us Canadians *something*! Anyone at Sun listening here who
>> might be able to help?
>
>Free Trade has little to do with it.  There's a federal law which
>prohibits the export of encryption devices.

Not if you do not live in the US of A. There is a set of DES
programs/subroutines on a machine in Finland which are publicly available.
Try ftping to 128.59.64.40 which also has a copy of this software for
public distribution (this is where I came by my copy).   I do have the
address of the machine in finland somewhere, if 128.59.64.40 does not have
it any longer.

					richard ..

#PS 128.59.64.40 is a machine in north america