[comp.sys.sun] XON/XOFF

jms@tymix.tymnet.com (Joe Smith) (07/22/89)

In article <30@brazos.Rice.edu> stiatl!meo@gatech.edu (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>In article <4155@kalliope.rice.edu> beareq!quants5!fitz@ai.mit.edu (David Fitzgerald) writes:
| i am trying to connect a hp plotter  7475A to my sun 3/60 and run it
| through a printer daemon on /dev/ttya i.e.  lpr <plotter_file>
| the plotter file is straight ascii text file and i have no problems
| plotting about one page of commands. however the plotters error light
| flashes through the entire process and aborts after a small portion of a
| larger file.
>You need to (a) make sure the plotter is set up to do flow control via ^S
>and ^Q (one of the DIP switches) and (B) make sure that ttya is defined in
>ttytype as something reasonable for what you are doing, including having
>flow control set appropriately.

That's not enough.  You must be running either 3.5 or 4.0.3 of SunOS.  I
have a TI-800 printer running at 9600 baud on ttya, which needs XON/XOFF
since it prints at about 200 cps.  It worked just fine when I first got my
system (running SunOS 3.5), but failed when 4.0 was installed.  Explicitly
setting the 1 in ":fs#06021:" in printcap helped, but not much.  The 4.0.1
patch tape had no effect.  The problem was finally fixed after upgrading
to version 4.0.3 of SunOS.

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-D21    | PDP-10 support: My car's license plate is "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | narrator.device: "I didn't say that, my Amiga did!"

joes@islsun5.mse.lehigh.edu (Joe Sieczkowski) (08/03/89)

I was never able to get XON/XOFF to work proberly with my NEC LC 890
PostScript printer.  I'm running Sun version 3.5.  It seems like the sun
never sees the ^S from the printer.  My final solution was to set the
printer at 1200 baud .... ie spoon feed it.

My printcap currently looks like:

	ps|cat|troff|lw:\
      		:lp=/dev/ttyb:sd=/usr/spool/lpd:rw:\
	      	:fs#06021:xs#40000:\
      		:tf=/usr/local/bin/pscat:\
        	:br#1200:mx=0:sh:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:\
      		:pw#80:

If I even think about increasing the baud rate to 9600...the printer
looses output.  If anyone out there knows a solution to this I would
appreciate it.

Joe

gwr@gomez.uucp (Gordon W. Ross) (08/23/89)

In article <721@brazos.Rice.edu> joes@islsun5.mse.lehigh.edu (Joe Sieczkowski) writes:

>I was never able to get XON/XOFF to work proberly with my NEC LC 890
>PostScript printer.  I'm running Sun version 3.5.  It seems like the sun
>never sees the ^S from the printer.  My final solution was to set the
>printer at 1200 baud .... ie spoon feed it.
[...]
>Joe

Your problem is most likely the printer not sending XOFF.  I see no
problem with your printcap entry.  I'm not sure if it will help, but I've
included the printcap entry we use on our HP pen plotter which needs
XON/XOFF to run at 9600 bps.

#
# HP pen plotter, connected locally
#
hp|hpplotter|hp7550A|Hewlett-Packard pen plotter in 1E404:\
	:lp=/dev/tty02:sd=/usr/spool/hp:\
	:lf=/usr/spool/hp/log:af=/usr/spool/hp/acct:\
	:br#9600:fc#0377:fs#0221:mx#0:\
	:rw:sh:sb:fo:\
	:ff=\033.J\033.P1\:\033.T\:\nPG;\n:\
	:of=/usr/local/lib/vp/hpfilter:
#

Note that the HP 7750A can be programmed to use XON/XOFF by sending the
sequence "\033.P1:" or by front panel selections.

Gordon W. Ross    gwr@gomez.mitre.org    (617) 271-3205 (daytime)
The MITRE Corp. (M/S E025)  Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730