[comp.sys.sun] ftp bombs with shell other than c*sh

jes@mbio.med.upenn.edu (Joe Smith) (08/24/89)

Does ftp reject logins when the user's login shell isn't csh or sh?  Can
other shells be certified as acceptable for ftp?

We're experiencing the problem with (GNU) bash as the login shell on a
3/140 running SunOS 4.0.

<Joe
--
 Joe Smith
 University of Pennsylvania                    jes@mbio.med.upenn.edu

gorpong@telxon.uu.net (Gordon C. Galligher) (09/02/89)

In article <1090@brazos.Rice.edu> jes@mbio.med.upenn.edu (Joe Smith) writes:

>Does ftp reject logins when the user's login shell isn't csh or sh?  Can
>other shells be certified as acceptable for ftp?
>
>We're experiencing the problem with (GNU) bash as the login shell on a
>3/140 running SunOS 4.0.

Joe,

Be sure to include the line "/bin/bash" (or whatever your shells are) in
the file /etc/shells.  The format is one shell per line, full path name.
It is used by chsh (passwd -s) and ftpd to make sure that you want to give
yourself/log into a valid shell.

		-- Gordon.

Gordon C. Galligher  <|> ...!uunet!telxon!gorpong <|> gorpong@telxon.uu.net
Telxon Corporation   <|> "What are ya standin' around for?  Don't ya know
Akron, Ohio, 44313   <|>  a Jail Break when ya see one?" - Scotty
(216) 867-3700 (3512)<|>         Star Trek V:  The Final Frontier

dan@scooter.rosemount.com (Dan Messinger) (09/05/89)

>Does ftp reject logins when the user's login shell isn't csh or sh?  Can
>other shells be certified as acceptable for ftp?

To fix this, create a file called /etc/shells, and list the legal shells
on your system.  For example:

/bin/sh
/bin/csh
/bin/ksh

Dan Messinger
dan@scooter.rosemount.com

dpk@morgan.com (Douglas P. Kingston) (09/06/89)

This question can be answered by reading the manual.

ftpd on 4.0 (and 4.3BSD) checks the file /etc/shells to see if the user
has a valid login shell.  If /etc/shells does not exist, the shell must be
/bin/sh or /bin/csh (or null).

To quote from the ftpd(8) man page:
    "ftpd authenticates users according to three rules.

     1)   ...

     2)   The  user  must  have  a  standard  shell  returned  by
          getusershell(3).

     3)   ...

-Doug-