[comp.sys.sun] Serial boards for 386i - info wanted

wcs@ho95c.att.com (William Clare Stewart) (08/29/89)

We just got a Sun 386i, and would like to add a couple serial ports.
Rather than buying an expensive N-port card, we'd like to use  the
standard PC-bus serial cards we have around.  The Sun comes with
instructions for using them from DOS (worked fine), but we want to use
them from UNIX so we can do things like uucp.  Does anyone have a driver
that supports them?  Thanks;

--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 4M312 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs
often found at 201-271-4712 tarpon.att.com!wcs Somerset CP3-4C423 fax469-1355

adams@yale.edu (Steve Adams) (09/19/89)

In article <1217@brazos.Rice.edu> wcs@ho95c.att.com (William Clare Stewart) writes:

>We just got a Sun 386i, and would like to add a couple serial ports.
>Rather than buying an expensive N-port card, we'd like to use  the
>standard PC-bus serial cards we have around.  The Sun comes with
>instructions for using them from DOS (worked fine), but we want to use
>them from UNIX so we can do things like uucp.  Does anyone have a driver
>that supports them?  Thanks;

We purchased a Digiboard Com/4i for our 386i.  It supports 4 9600 baud serial
ports and the driver appears to be clean enough.  We have used it for dial-in
logins and uucp.  The installation was quite easy, and the configuration is
done by a shell script that asks various questions and then installs the
driver with the proper switches.

The board was purchased new for around $300.

If you need more info, give me a call at 203/488-6090.

Steve Adams                           All disclaimers apply here.....
adams@multiflow.com
uunet!mfci!adams                      AuH2O *IS* the Republican Solution!

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (09/21/89)

wcs@ho95c.att.com (William Clare Stewart) writes:

>We just got a Sun 386i, and would like to add a couple serial ports.
>Rather than buying an expensive N-port card, we'd like to use  the
>standard PC-bus serial cards we have around.  The Sun comes with
>instructions for using them from DOS (worked fine), but we want to use
>them from UNIX so we can do things like uucp.  Does anyone have a driver
>that supports them?  Thanks;

Near the bottom of the rc.local delivered with sunOS4.0.1:
+=======================================================================
+ #     Loadable drivers get loaded here.
+ cd /etc/modules
+
+ # cg5 accelerated frame buffer driver
+ modload cgfive.o -exec cgfive.script
+
+ # Uncomment the line below to load the AT serial port driver.
+ #modload ats.o -exec ats.script -conf ats_conf && chat 'AT serial port driver.'
+
+ #
+ # We know that the above two drivers can safely run with kernel paging
+ # enabled, so we re-enable kernel paging now.
+ /usr/etc/kernpage on
+=======================================================================

check the manual page for modload, modunload, modstat.

the sun386i comes with a generic IBM clone driver for COM1: and COM2:

On the other hand, I want 19200 out of the additional port(s) I add
and have not found any IBM PC serial boards supporting this. I am
interested in any information on single or multiport boards, with or
without drivers.

Jim Budler   address = uucp: ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
                     domain: jim@eda.com
                 compuserve: 72415,1200
voice     = +1 408 986-9585    fax     = +1 408 748-1032