[comp.sys.sun] Summary: Adding memory to 3/60 3/80

gerry@uunet.uu.net (Gerry Lachac) (08/22/89)

This is a summary of the information sent to me about expanding 3/60 and
3/80 memory.  Thanks to the multitude of people who responded.

SUN does use 1 megabyte SIMMS.  These must be fast (80ns) especially for
the 3/80's.  There are 9 chips per SIMM. On the 3/60 they must be added in
4 megabyte increments and a jumper moved. For the memory test, an eeprom
value must be changed.

PRICING: The average price quoted to me was around $180 per meg.  If you
shop around you can get much lower (lowest I was told was $129 - from
Gigabyte).  This seems much more reasonable than the $450 my dealer
attempted to charge me.  Below is a list of the places people advised me
to buy from. The number in brackets is the number of people who mentioned
the company.  I don't endorse any company myself.

		Clearpoint 	[6]
		Helios		[2]
		Gigabyte Corp	[1]

There you have it.

--
uunet!dialogic!gerry   | 			   |	Dialogic Corporation
	OR	       |  			   |	129 Littleton Rd

pell@isy.liu.se (Por Emanuelsson) (08/31/89)

Gerry Lachac wrote:
>SUN does use 1 megabyte SIMMS.  These must be fast (80ns) especially for
>the 3/80's.

Our 3/80's arrived with 100ns. For testing purposes we put some of this
memory in our 3/60, which arrived with 70ns. Everything worked fine, and
still do.

"Don't think; let the machine do it for you!"
                                   -- E. C. Berkeley
Dept. of Electrical Engineering	                         pell@isy.liu.se
University of Linkoping, Sweden	                    ...!uunet!isy.liu.se!pell

henry@uunet.uu.net (09/21/89)

>Our 3/80's arrived with 100ns. For testing purposes we put some of this
>memory in our 3/60, which arrived with 70ns. Everything worked fine, and
>still do.

Beware:  what you may have is a machine that is working fine with
practically zero margin for error.  Temperature changes or component aging
may push it over the edge, at which point it will develop non-reproducible
intermittent problems (ugh).  It is often the case that a particular
machine at a given time has more margin than it needs, since manufacturers
must design for worst cases.  So it's often possible to cut that margin
down without obvious ill effects.  The trouble is, unless you understand
the design, you don't know just how close to the edge you are.

There is also the possibility, of course, that Sun used 70ns memory in a
machine designed for 100ns because they were temporarily out of 100ns
parts...

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu