[comp.sys.sun] Loss of vertical mouse movement in suntools/sunview

karim@uncecs.edu (Omar A. Karim) (08/21/89)

The SUN 4/110 which I have has recently developed a marked loss of mouse
control in the vertical direction. The only way to get SOME movement is to
press hard on the pad. Rebooting and shutting off doesnt help always.
Sometimes it does help.  This problem comes and goes although today I cant
seem to get around it in any way. Are there and fellow sufferers? Can
someone offer any fix? Is this a bug-feature or simply a decay of the
system which is 0.5 yrs old? This is a standalone system with 8 Mb.

Any help will be appreciated... moving the mouse around in large circles
on the pad doesnt help.

Thanks.
Omar A. Karim
Dept. of Physics
UNC-W

twj@ho7cad.att.com (Thomas W Jones) (08/31/89)

In article <1027@brazos.Rice.edu>, karim@uncecs.edu (Omar A. Karim) writes:
> The SUN 4/110 which I have has recently developed a marked loss of mouse
> control in the vertical direction. The only way to get SOME movement is to
> press hard on the pad. Rebooting and shutting off doesnt help always.
> Sometimes it does help.  This problem comes and goes although today I cant
> seem to get around it in any way. Are there and fellow sufferers? Can
> someone offer any fix? Is this a bug-feature or simply a decay of the
> system which is 0.5 yrs old? This is a standalone system with 8 Mb.
>
> Any help will be appreciated... moving the mouse around in large circles
> on the pad doesnt help.
>
> Thanks.
> Omar A. Karim

Replace the mouse. Sun apparently had a bad batch of them. We got 8
sparcstation 1's in recently, and 3 of the 8 had the problem. We contacted
sun, and they replaced the mice; and we haven't experienced the problem
since. Other people I know have had the same problem with 3/60's, so it's
not a sun 4 problem. BTW: if you compare the mouse with another
workstation's that works ok, you'll notice the intensity of the red light
(on the bottom) isn't as high.

Also, ours were still under warantee, so we didn't have to pay for
it ...

twj

barry@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (barry klawans) (09/01/89)

In article <1027@brazos.Rice.edu> karim@uncecs.edu (Omar A. Karim) writes:
>The SUN 4/110 which I have has recently developed a marked loss of mouse
>control in the vertical direction.
>
>Any help will be appreciated... moving the mouse around in large circles
>on the pad doesnt help.

I just saw a system exhibit almost identical symptoms a few days ago.
(Actually it was losing mouse control in the horizontal direction.)  Does
it look like the mouse is not responding very quick?  If so you probably
have a bad mouse.  I would guess that either the photo-receptor is dirty
or the optics tracking vertical motion are out of alignment.  Try moving
the mouse slowly up and down at a constent speed.  If the cursor starts
and stops and moves up and down in jerks try swapping mice with another
sun and see if the problem goes away.  It did at our site.

Barry Klawans						Sybase
Standard disclaimers apply.				6475 Christie Ave
UUCP: {mtxinu,sun,pyramid,pacbell}!sybase!barry		Emeryville, CA  94608

david@sacto.west.sun.com (David L. Kensiski) (09/01/89)

Two of the mice on our four brand new Sun 3/60's lost vertical motion in
any window environment we tried (Suntools, XView and NeWS), so we deduced
the problem to be hardware.  (Besides, we're all software people here.
Any problem we can't solve has to be a hardware problem! :-)  Since the
systems were still under warranty, we simply called Sun and had them
replace the mice, and the problem was solved.

With a 50% failure rate at our site for the new mice, I'm surprised more
people haven't run into this problem.

dan@scooter.rosemount.com (Dan Messinger) (09/02/89)

>The SUN 4/110 which I have has recently developed a marked loss of mouse
>control in the vertical direction. The only way to get SOME movement is to
>press hard on the pad. Rebooting and shutting off doesnt help always.
>Omar A. Karim

Two of our new SPARCstations 1 systems did the same thing after only a
couple weeks of use.  It was a faulty mouse.

Dan Messinger
dan@scooter.rosemount.com

stevo@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Steve Groom) (09/19/89)

In article <1027@brazos.Rice.edu>, karim@uncecs.edu (Omar A. Karim) writes:
> The SUN 4/110 which I have has recently developed a marked loss of mouse
> control in the vertical direction.

I've had problems with several mice on machines around here.  I took them
apart (two screws on the bottom) and cleaned them out.   No more problem.
My guess is that some of the fuzz from the bottom of the mouse got stuck up
in the "dark" hole.  Note that the red light on the mouse only detects
horizontal motion.  Vertical motion is detected by the sensor right next
to the red one, which appears to be dark because it doesn't emit light in the
visible range.

Oh yeah, be careful when you take the thing apart.  There are a couple of
small plastic beads which will try and escape and hide under your desk if
you aren't watching.  It looks to me like they're functioning as lenses, so
you will want to keep them clean and unscratched.  That could be another
cause for a nonfunctioning mouse.

-steve

Steve Groom, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA 91109
Internet: stevo@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov   UUCP: {ames,cit-vax}!elroy!stevo
Disclaimer: (thick German accent) "I know noothingg! Noothingg!"

meo@gatech.edu (Miles O'Neal) (09/21/89)

In article <1244@brazos.Rice.edu> mtxinu!kiwi!barry@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (barry klawans) writes:

|In article <1027@brazos.Rice.edu> karim@uncecs.edu (Omar A. Karim) writes:
|>The SUN 4/110 which I have has recently developed a marked loss of mouse
|>control in the vertical direction.
|>
|>Any help will be appreciated... moving the mouse around in large circles
|>on the pad doesnt help.
|
|I would guess that either the photo-receptor is dirty
|or the optics tracking vertical motion are out of alignment.  Try moving
|the mouse slowly up and down at a constent speed.  If the cursor starts
|and stops and moves up and down in jerks try swapping mice with another
|sun and see if the problem goes away.  It did at our site.

These symptoms may also mean that your mouse pad is turned 90 degrees the
wrong way. Some pad/mouse combos are ecxtremely sensitive to this, some
are somewhat sensitive, and a new one we got with Visual XDS seems not to
mind at all.

-Miles

joe@uunet.uu.net (Joe Michel-Angelo) (09/26/89)

In article <1492@brazos.Rice.edu>, by dan@scooter.rosemount.com:
> Two of our new SPARCstations 1 systems did the same thing after only a

Ya, Sun teckies admitted that someone used led's that burn out after a few
hours, days, weeks. We lost 65% of our mouse in a recent order. Sun
hotline gladly shipped new ones over-night fed-x. They've worked fine.

If your mouse is 3 weeks old and working, it'll keep on working.
Otherwise, warranty should cover the replacement--

"The Network        Joe Angelo -- Support Group @ Teknekron Software Systems
 Adminstrator       Palo Alto, Ca 94301 415-325-1025
 Is The
 Computer..."       uunet!tekbspa!joe - joe@tss.com - tekbspa!joe@uunet.uu.com