[comp.sys.sun] SUN Transcript

mannel@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Bill Mannel) (07/22/89)

Any opinions about SUN Transcript software?  We have a SUN 3/280 and 6
3/60's running 4.0.1 with future upgrade to 4.0.3 anticipated.

My salesman told me that it does screen dumps.  Is this true? How fast (or
slow)?

Can it be used to output SUN GKS files??

Appreciate your input....

                        Bill Mannel
                        mannel@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov

zjat02@uunet.uu.net (Jon A. Tankersley) (08/06/89)

Transcript 2.1 is what you want with 4.x.  It is a different beast from
the older version. What was especially surprising was the major shift
between 2.1Pilot and 2.1FCS.  Pilot allowed me to place things where
wanted.  FCS imposed it's own ideas.  Installables HAVE to go in
/usr/tran/`arch`/{bin,lib}.  You can't change this without symlinks.
Installation changes even your edits back.

Given the move to /share for sharing things, I am surprised that they
force this on you.  I had the binaries installed in /usr/local/bin before
and made a symlink to fix them back.  Some of the lib files are
architecture dependent, but I would think that the fonts would be
sharable.  (I think they are, but may change in the future).

GKS output works.  You may have to fix the output file to place the %! as
the	first two chars of the file.  I think that was/is a feature of the
GKS output but I may be wrong.

Screendump........   Works and works well.  It just takes forever to
print.  It can take between 1-8 minutes to print at 9600 baud.  Not sure
if a faster connection will speed that up or not.  A versatec will be done
by the time you get out of your chair and walk to it!  I'd recommend a
Versatec for the quick&dirty plots and save the LW for when you need a
finished output.  Or look at some other screen acquire printers.  Of
course both the Versatec and the LW are black and white :-).

-tank-
#include <std/disclaimer.h>		/* nobody knows the trouble I .... */
tank@apctrc.trc.amoco.com    ..!uunet!apctrc!tank

perl@step.UUCP (Robert Perlberg) (08/15/89)

In article <311@brazos.Rice.edu>, mannel@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Bill Mannel) writes:
> My salesman told me that it does screen dumps.  Is this true? How fast (or
> slow)?

True.  It can do an 1152x900 screendump (from a sun-3/50) in portrait
format in 5 minutes at 9600 baud.  The basic formula is:

((sizeof(rasterfile)) * 2) / 960 = time in seconds

Landscape printing takes 55 minutes, but Sun is planning on fixing this.
Version 2.0 was able to do it in 5 minutes, so if you need to do landscape
printing you may elect to use version 2.0.

Robert Perlberg
Dean Witter Reynolds Inc., New York
phri!{dasys1 | philabs | mancol}!step!perl
	-- "I am not a language ... I am a free man!"

jrich@ucrmath.ucr.edu (John Richardson) (08/23/89)

In article <720@brazos.Rice.edu> apctrc!zjat02@uunet.uu.net (Jon A. Tankersley) writes:

>Installables HAVE to go in
>/usr/tran/`arch`/{bin,lib}.  You can't change this without symlinks.
>Installation changes even your edits back.
>
>Given the move to /share for sharing things, I am surprised that they
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^
>force this on you.  I had the binaries installed in /usr/local/bin before
>and made a symlink to fix them back.  Some of the lib files are
>architecture dependent, but I would think that the fonts would be
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>sharable.  (I think they are, but may change in the future).
 ^^^^^^^^

It was very un-Sun-like the way Transcript's software architecture is set
up.

When I was installing Transcript, I compared the Sun3 and Sun4 fonts and
they were identical EXCEPT for what appeared to be a magic number.
Consequently, I ended up installing both versions, although it seems like
a waste of space.  At that point, I was frustrated from trying to work
around the first issue, and didn't feel like experimenting to find out
whether that small difference was significant or not.

/usr/tran/sparc/lib/troff.font/Courier/ftB:	sparc executable
/usr/tran/mc68020/lib/troff.font/Courier/ftB:	mc68020 executable
John Richardson, System Administrator   Internet: jrich@ucrmath.ucr.edu
Dept. of Math & Computer Science        uucp: {ucsd, uci, ucdavis}!ucrmath!jrich
Univ. of California, Riverside          phone: (714) 787-3236

edm@nwnexus.wa.com (Ed Morin) (09/02/89)

One thing that bothered me about Sun's Transcript is that when the fonts
are originally tar-ed off the distribution tape, there exist a number of
links between files which same a considerable amount of space.  During the
course of installation the entire set of font directories are cp -r over
to their final destination.  The problem is that all of the link in-
formation is lost and the disk bloats out.

My solution was to remove the tree after the installation and do a tar
copy of the distribution tree to preserve the links and save my disk
space.  It was quite time consuming though and their installation should
have been much more intelligent about it all...

Ed Morin
Northwest Nexus Inc.
"Unix Public Access for the Masses!"
edm@nwnexus.WA.COM

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (09/26/89)

In article <1319@brazos.Rice.edu> edm@nwnexus.wa.com (Ed Morin) writes:
:
:One thing that bothered me about Sun's Transcript is that when the fonts
:are originally tar-ed off the distribution tape, there exist a number of
:links between files which same a considerable amount of space.  During the
:course of installation the entire set of font directories are cp -r over
:to their final destination.  The problem is that all of the link in-
:formation is lost and the disk bloats out.
:
:My solution was to remove the tree after the installation and do a tar
:copy of the distribution tree to preserve the links and save my disk
:space.  It was quite time consuming though and their installation should
:have been much more intelligent about it all...

When I move things around and need to maintain symbolic links, I do not
use cp -r at all.  I use tar, and pipe the output to another tar job
that immediately extracts it at its destination.  e.g.

(cd /source/.. ; tar cd - source ) | ( cd /dest/.. ; tar xvf - )

Be careful you do not have 'cd' aliased though.  -David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110