[comp.sys.sun] sun4 memory board in sun3 ?

nassio%cfassp12@harvard.harvard.edu (George Nassiopoulos) (09/07/89)

I have a spare 8MB that came from a SUN4/260. Does anyone out there know
if this board is usable in a SUN3/160?  If it can, do i have to worry
about any jumpering other than the external jumpers (above the led's) and
the termination resistor?  I will be glad to send a summary of replies to
whoever asks for one...

Thanks in advance

George Nassiopoulos
nassio@cfa.harvard.edu

weber@cs.utexas.edu (09/25/89)

The board for a 3/200 series machine is not compatible with a 3/100 based
machine.  No jumpers or other variables will make it so.  As far as I know
your 3/200 memory board will only work in 3/200's and will not work in
3/400 or 4/300 either.

adoyle@vax.bbn.com (Allan Doyle) (09/28/89)

In article <1750@brazos.Rice.edu> beaver.cs.washington.edu!wuarchive!uwm!aplcen!ginosko!cg-atla!weber@cs.utexas.edu writes:

>The board for a 3/200 series machine is not compatible with a 3/100 based
>machine.  No jumpers or other variables will make it so.  As far as I know
>your 3/200 memory board will only work in 3/200's and will not work in
>3/400 or 4/300 either.

I have just tried the combinations below:

	3/480, 3/4xx memory		Works (of course)
	3/280, 3/2xx memory		Works (of course)

	3/480, 3/2xx memory		Works
	3/280, 3/4xx memory		Works

	3/480, Clearpoint 16M for 3/280	Works, but only if it is
					not the first board in the
					system. If 1st, it fails the
					forced ECC interrupt test.

Allan Doyle                                              adoyle@bbn.com
BBN Systems and Technologies Corporation		 (617) 873-3398
70 Fawcett Street,   Cambridge, MA 02138

stevo@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Steve Groom) (09/29/89)

In article <1750@brazos.Rice.edu> beaver.cs.washington.edu!wuarchive!uwm!aplcen!ginosko!cg-atla!weber@cs.utexas.edu writes:

>The board for a 3/200 series machine is not compatible with a 3/100 based
>machine.  No jumpers or other variables will make it so.  As far as I know
>your 3/200 memory board will only work in 3/200's and will not work in
>3/400 or 4/300 either.

They will, however, work in 4/200's.  We have a few 3/200's that we
upgraded to 4's, replacing only the CPU and keeping the same memory
boards.  They've been running that way for over a year now.

Steve Groom, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA 91109
Internet: stevo@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov   UUCP: {ames,cit-vax}!elroy!stevo
Disclaimer: (thick German accent) "I know noothingg! Noothingg!"

dupuy@cs.columbia.edu (Alexander Dupuy) (09/29/89)

> From: cg-atla!weber@cs.utexas.edu

> The board for a 3/200 series machine is not compatible with a 3/100 based
> machine.  No jumpers or other variables will make it so.  As far as I know
> your 3/200 memory board will only work in 3/200's and will not work in
> 3/400 or 4/300 either.

I was under the impression that the 3/400 series used the same memory
architecture as the 3/200 and 4/200 - just with a 68030 CPU.  The 3/100
and 4/300 series definitely have incompatible memory architectures,
though.

@alex