[comp.sys.sun] set quota

jesse@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Jesse Lee) (09/27/89)

I try to set quota on some file systems under SunOS 4.0.3.  When I mount
the file system with option quota, the system responds "unknown options
quota".  When I configured the kernel, I did enable this option.  I even
tried the GENERIC kernel, and the result is still the same. Does anyone
has similar problem?

				Jesse Lee
				jesse@mssun7.msi.cornell.edu

kwthomas@gcn.uoknor.edu (Kevin W. Thomas) (09/28/89)

>From:    jesse@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Jesse Lee)
>
>I try to set quota on some file systems under SunOS 4.0.3.  When I mount
>the file system with option quota, the system responds "unknown options
>quota".  When I configured the kernel, I did enable this option.  I even
>tried the GENERIC kernel, and the result is still the same. Does anyone
>has similar problem?

Consider the message a bug.  You will find quotas actually enabled.  Make
sure you create the empty file "quotas".  See quotaon(8) for details.

	Kevin W. Thomas

dupuy@cs.columbia.edu (09/29/89)

You have diconvered an annoying misfeature of SunOS.  The program mount
doesn't understand the 'quota' option, only the 'noquota', so it complains
about it.  However, it does mount it anyhow.  The quotaon program does
understand the 'quota' option, and does the right thing.  You do need to
have options QUOTA in your kernel configuration.

inet: dupuy@cs.columbia.edu
uucp: ...!rutgers!cs.columbia.edu!dupuy