[comp.sys.sun] Is the Sun setting?

jgb@medisun.med.ucla.edu (J Grant Bristow) (09/09/89)

I can't believe what Sun's telling me!  I ordered a SPARCstation in June
and still haven't received it!  First they told me it was shipping in a
month.  Then by the end of August.  Then September 5th.  Now September 27!

The reason for the delay was the 19" monochrome monitor.  My salesman told
me the frame buffers were backordered.  Now they say the country kits are
backordered!  Give me a break!

I was at Sun Expo and Scott McNealy admitted that Sun had problems when
they switched inventory systems.  But he assured the audience the problems
were corrected and Sun was "back on schedule".

Not to beat a dead horse, I am disillusioned with Sun.  Actually, I am
pissed!  Many thoughts are going through my mind ( DEC ... HP ... IBM -
yikes - ....).

I'm interested in your experiences.  If you ordered a SPARCstation, how
long did it take you to get yours?  When did you order it?  Was it
monochrome?

Grant Bristow
UCLA, Dept. of Medicine

kelso@mimsy.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) (09/22/89)

In article <1507@brazos.Rice.edu>, jgb@medisun.med.ucla.edu (J Grant Bristow) writes:
> I can't believe what Sun's telling me!  I ordered a SPARCstation in June
> and still haven't received it!  First they told me it was shipping in a
> month.  Then by the end of August.  Then September 5th.  Now September 27!
> yikes - ....).

> I'm interested in your experiences.  If you ordered a SPARCstation, how
> long did it take you to get yours?  When did you order it?  Was it
> monochrome?

We (Welch Medical Library, AIS) were *promised* if we were good & sent in
our order by the end of June we'd get our 9 SPARCS + 1 SPARCserver (all
fully loaded. Read: $$$) we'd get our systems by mid-August. After 3 bogus
ship dates we got 4 SPARCS the 2nd week of Sept & they were ***SANS
DISKS***. Ever hear of a diskless SPARC???  After major flaming & ranting
& raving we were sent 4 the way we ordered them w/in a week & the
remaining 5 (stations that is) in another week. We STILL haven't received
our server!!!. We're under a rather tight schedule to get a system up (ie
some type of prototype by the end of Oct) by the folks who gave us the
$$$. We're more than satisfied w/ the performance of the SPARCS but we're
****LESS**** than even mollified w/ SUN.

ekrell@hector.att.com (09/22/89)

There's a big difference in lead time between monochrome and color
SPARCstations. Sun is telling us now that a color SPARCstation has about
45-60 days vs over 90 days for a monochrome one.

We ordered both a color and a monochrome one back in may/june. The color
one arrived in 45 days and the monochrome one arrived a month and a half
after that (for a total of 90 days).  I know of several others who are
still waiting for their monochrome 4/60's. It seems like that
configuration is very popular.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

trudel@caip.rutgers.edu (Jonathan D. Trudel) (09/26/89)

>I can't believe what Sun's telling me!  I ordered a SPARCstation in June
>and still haven't received it!

>I'm interested in your experiences.

We ordered a VME-SCSI adaptor board (well, it's a SunVME (3 connector) to
standard VME (2 connector)) a little while ago.  Ok, so it's been TWO
YEARS since we placed the order, and we've yet to see it.  This order was
placed under the old inventory system, but even so, orders shouldn't be
neglected.  We do have our purchase order for the board, and every time we
have seen our sales rep we remind him of the order he tells us that he
will "try to find it" but that isn't an acceptable answer anymore.

There's also this order for Sun Common Lisp (version 3.0) that we've been
waiting for, but that's another story...

Sun has a fine product line, however, even though a computer company might
have the finest systems ever made, if they can't deliver them to the
public in a timely manner, they become worthless.

						Jon

dwells@cs.ucla.edu (David Wells) (09/27/89)

In article <1630@brazos.Rice.edu> ekrell@hector.att.com writes:

>There's a big difference in lead time between monochrome and color
>SPARCstations. Sun is telling us now that a color SPARCstation has about
>45-60 days vs over 90 days for a monochrome one.

There is also a lead time difference between 19" and 17" mono 4/60s.  Our
2 17" mono, diskless 4/60s arrived in 3 weeks.

								David

corwin@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Frommeyer) (09/30/89)

We ordered 20 SPARCstations, 8 to be delivered the first week in September
(my dates are approximate) and 12 to be delivered by the end of September.

Well, the twelve arrived the last week in AUGUST and then the 8 PLUS 3 new
workstations just ordered arrived by Sept. 20.

Now, of course, we've got 23 users screaming for SPARCstations.

Fortunately, ours work right out of the box. :-)

On the other hand, Sun saw fit to redesign the SCSI connector but NOT the
thick Ethernet connector, so I suppose justice in its way is served.

Gotta run, "le0: no carrier" errors await,
Cheers,
	Corwin