[comp.sys.sun] Public domain version of TRANSCRIPT

MARDEL@VMSAC (09/28/89)

I will soon connect a poscript printer QMS 810 on a SUN 3/260 running
SUNOS 3.5 and 4.0 as soon as possible .

I have been told about a public domain version of transcript to convert
ascii file in poscript format & print screen dumps .

Has anybody information about the way i could get it ?

mark@drd.com (Mark Lawrence) (10/04/89)

MARDEL@VMSAC wrote:
}
} I will soon connect a poscript printer QMS 810 on a SUN 3/260 running
} SUNOS 3.5 and 4.0 as soon as possible .
}
} I have been told about a public domain version of transcript to convert
} ascii file in poscript format & print screen dumps .
}
} Has anybody information about the way i could get it ?

We use two pieces of software: t2ps (formerly split, Copyright 1988 by
Richard J. Sexton) and thack to accomplish what transcript provides.
Thack is in the comp.sources.unix (or is it misc?) archives.  t2ps is
heavily hacked up here but I'm more than willing to mail it to anybody who
wants it.

   mark@DRD.Com                (918) 743-3013              Jer. 9:23,24
   {uunet,rutgers}!drd!mark

us214777@uc.msc.umn.edu (John C. Schultz) (10/04/89)

In article <1836@brazos.Rice.edu> MARDEL@VMSAC writes:
>I have been told about a public domain version of transcript to convert
>ascii file in poscript format & print screen dumps .

I would like a reference too if possible.  In the meantime, I am using a
laserwriter filter called lwf/lwp which IS PD.  It converts text into
Postscript with a choice of font sizes.  I also just snarfed up a program
called "cz" from comp.sources.misc which promises to do similar (maybe)
things for other languages/types.

As to dumping windows, if you use X windows, there are utilities xwd and
xpr which allow you to dump and print any window you point to.  About the
only thing the Transcript software provides that I can't do now is convert
nroff manuals to Postscript.  Suggestions?

BTW, I am printing on a Dataproducts LZR 1260 at 38400 baud from a Sun
3/160 under Sun OS 4.0.3.  You cannot use 38400 under SunOS < 4.0 because
Sun used a short for the baud rate prior to 4.0.

John C. Schultz                   EMAIL: jcschultz@mmm.com
3M Company                        WRK: +1 (612) 733 4047
3M Center, Building 518-01-1      St. Paul, MN  55144-1000