[comp.sys.sun] The Sun is setting

Kemp@dockmaster.ncsc.mil (10/05/89)

John Neubert writes:

 > P.S. Anyone know anything about *rumored* multi-processor work (ala
 > Solbourne) at Sun; or a rumored multi-i860 board for Suns?

Re rumor #2, I just got a call today from a salesman from CSPI trying to
sell me an i860 board for Suns for $7995.  I'll get data sheets in the
mail, so I don't know anything more about it yet.

(b.t.w, one of my first jobs as a student in 1975 was programming a CSP-30
computer from CSPI.  It had an incredible (for that time) 100ns clock
speed, but you loaded programs from a card reader or an 8-track cartridge.
It really could crank out those generations of 'life', though, and it did
FFT's fast enough to synthesize music in real-time!  :-).

Re rumor #1, yes, somebody knows something (either affirmative or
negative), but if you want anything more specific, you should ask Sun
yourself.

     Dave Kemp <Kemp@dockmaster.ncsc.mil>