[comp.sys.sun] RTSCTS IS working on SUN3-60

jaap@sci.kun.nl (10/10/89)

I wrote:
>For unmentionable reasons :-(the printer has to serve messy-dos also:-)
>I have to configure a lpr serial line with rtscts-handshaking on a SUN 3-60.

>The way to go seemed to set CRTSCTS in the ms-part of the printcap-entry.
[ stuf deleted ]
>No rtscts-handshaking occured not even dropping the cts by breakbox.
[ stuf deleted ]

Jeff Treece <sabbagh!treece@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> answered :

moldev!geo@uunet.UU.NET (George Pontis) answered:
>With regard to RTSCTS, might you need to configure that serial port
>in your kernel for hardware handshake before it will work ? ( See the section
>in the manual about connecting a modem, and do the same for the printer port )

Acting upon above hints (why didn't we think of this?) we rebuilt the
kernel: /usr/sys/sun3/conf/WN:SUN3_60

# Diskless Sun-3/60
#
>machine		"sun3"
>cpu		"SUN3_60"
>ident		"WN:SUN3_60"
>device		zs0 at obio ? csr 0x20000 flags 0 priority 3
>                                         ^^^^^^^

the sun now could handle rtscts on both ports, if and when we set crtscts.
This is done in /etc/printcap
	#
	aclsr|ul451| Analytische Chemie HP laserjet+ printer :\
		:lp=/dev/ttyb:\
		:br#9600:\
		:ms=cbreak,cs8,-parenb,-cstopb,-opost,crtscts:\
						      ^^^^^^^
		:tr=\f:\
		:sh:\
		:sd=/usr/spool/aclsr:
	#

NB  We encountered some problems:
as all our sun3's got rtscts-control, a lot of connecting hardware (PABX) had
to get configured differently.

Some people asked about the rest of the connection so here is the complete
cable configuration for our site:

          ARROW
SUN       MS 801       HP-laserjet

2--------2-     -2--------2    # data
3--------3-     -3--------3    # data

4--------4-     -4--------4    # the signal MS801 uses
5-\     -5-     -5--------5    # the signal SUN uses to control output
   \
6---+----6-     -6--------6    # the signal SUN ignores
           \   /
8-      -8- / \ -8--------8    # NOT used
           /   \
20------20-     -20------20    # the signal HP uses to control input

*Jaap Bril                                 * jaap@sci.kun.nl                *
*computer&communicatie zaken               * mcvax!kunivv1!jaap             *
*faculteit wiskunde en natuurwetenschappen *                                *
*KU Nijmegen, The Netherlands              * +31-80612744                   *