[comp.sys.sun] vi thinks screen is very short

perry@tektronix.TEK.COM (Perry Hutchison) (10/06/89)

One of our diskless 3/50's here did something very strange, and I wonder
if anyone can explain it.  Whenever the user started vi in any of his
Suntools windows, it would only use the bottom few lines of the screen.
Logging out and back in did not help, but after rebooting the node
everything was normal.  This is with SunOS 3.5.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?  If it happens again, is
there a less severe cure than rebooting?

  The "From" address in the header does not work.
  This does:   ... tektronix!sequent!ccssrv!perry

mkatz@sesame.stanford.edu (Morris Katz) (10/11/89)

In article <2012@brazos.Rice.edu>, sequent!ccssrv!perry@tektronix (Perry Hutchison) writes:
>One of our diskless 3/50's here did something very strange, and I wonder
>if anyone can explain it.  Whenever the user started vi in any of his
>Suntools windows, it would only use the bottom few lines of the screen.
>Logging out and back in did not help, but after rebooting the node
>everything was normal.  This is with SunOS 3.5.
>
>Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?  If it happens again, is
>there a less severe cure than rebooting?

Sounds like you are exercising a known bug with SunOS that it sometimes
looses info on the number of columns and lines on your screen when you
telnet in (and possibly other times).  You might try adding the following
lines to your .login file following the setting of your terminal type:

# The following lines patch a bug that the operating system sometimes
# becomes confused about the number of lines and columns for your
# terminal (see Sept. 1987 Sun Software Technical Bulletin, p. 590)
if ($term != "sun") then
	stty everything|& fgrep -s columns
	@ setscreensize != $status
	if ($setscreensize) stty rows 0 cols 0