[comp.sys.sun] configuration problem on a 3/50 - wont configure

grant@saturn.cs.swin.oz.au (Grant Collins) (09/29/89)

I have a problem configuring a new kernel on a diskless 3/50 served by a
4/260 (both running 4.0.3).  Basically it wont work!  The manual states
that the kernel MUST be made on a machine of the same architecture as that
which it will run on.  Does anyone know why this is so?  I mean, surely
you can cross compile on the 4/260..  Anyway, the manual (pg 155,
"Installing the SunOS 4.0.3") shows a work-around for creating a kernel on
a diskless client of a different architecture to the server.  Basically,
it creates the kernel on the root partition as the /usr partition is
read-only.  Here's what happens (machine name is 'europa'):

root@europa/home# mkdir europa
root@europa/home# cd /home/europa
root@europa/home/europa# ln -s /usr/sys/* .
root@europa/home/europa# rm sun3
root@europa/home/europa# mkdir sun3
root@europa/home/europa# cd sun3
root@europa/home/europa/sun3# ln -s /usr/sys/sun3/* .
root@europa/home/europa/sun3# rm conf
root@europa/home/europa/sun3# mkdir conf
root@europa/home/europa/sun3# cd conf
root@europa/home/europa/sun3/conf# ln -s /usr/sys/sun3/conf/* .
root@europa/home/europa/sun3/conf# cp DL50 EUROPA
root@europa/home/europa/sun3/conf# chmod +w EUROPA
root@europa/home/europa/sun3/conf# config EUROPA
Doing a "make depend"
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `makedep'
root@europa/home/europa/sun3/conf#

Exactly the same thing happens if I try to make the appropriate kernel on
a diskless 3/80; or a generic kernel; or if I make the /usr partition
writeable; or if I try to make the kernel on the server.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (10/02/89)

In article <1821@brazos.Rice.edu> grant@saturn.cs.swin.oz.au (Grant Collins) writes:

>I have a problem configuring a new kernel on a diskless 3/50 served by a
>4/260 (both running 4.0.3).  Basically it wont work!  The manual states
>that the kernel MUST be made on a machine of the same architecture as that
>which it will run on.  Does anyone know why this is so?  I mean, surely
>you can cross compile on the 4/260..  Anyway, the manual (pg 155,

No, you CANNOT cross compile on the Sun's without buying Sun's cross
compiler support, at $1000 a pop. Even then I wouldn't bet that you could
build OS kernels on it.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254

guy@uunet.uu.net (Guy Harris) (10/03/89)

>I have a problem configuring a new kernel on a diskless 3/50 served by a
>4/260 (both running 4.0.3).  Basically it wont work!  The manual states
>that the kernel MUST be made on a machine of the same architecture as that
>which it will run on.  Does anyone know why this is so?  I mean, surely
>you can cross compile on the 4/260..

Assuming you have a cross-compiler that works.  I think Sun may offer that
as a product, but it doesn't come standard.

>root@europa/home/europa/sun3/conf# config EUROPA
>Doing a "make depend"
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `makedep'

A general note - the "make depend" procedure in the SunOS Makefiles has an
annoying deficiency here; it doesn't print the errors out if there's an
error in the "make depend".  It doesn't throw them out, however; they
should be in a file "makedeperrs" in the directory in which the "make
depend" was done (i.e., "../EUROPA") in this case.

jdh@bu-pub.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) (10/12/89)

>>I have a problem configuring a new kernel on a diskless 3/50 served by a
>>4/260 (both running 4.0.3).  Basically it wont work!  The manual states
>>that the kernel MUST be made on a machine of the same architecture as that
>>which it will run on.  Does anyone know why this is so?  I mean, surely
>>you can cross compile on the 4/260..  Anyway, the manual (pg 155,
>
>No, you CANNOT cross compile on the Sun's without buying Sun's cross
>compiler support ..

According to the most recent STB, the cross compiler *still* doesn't run
on SunOS 4.0 !  Give your sales rep(tile) a call, or better yet give
Ripley's a call..

This hit us about a year ago when we got a 4/280 and everything was ready
for SunOS 4 (F77, TAAC, pc, Lucid) .. everything except the cross
compilers.

Jason Heirtzler           (617) 353-2780       jdh@bu-it.bu.edu
Information Technology    Boston University    ..!harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!jdh