[comp.sys.sun] Type 4 Keyboard LEDs

gerry@uunet.uu.net (Gerry Lachac) (10/10/89)

Does anyone know how to make the LEDs (Numlock, Capslock, etc) work
properly on a type 4 keyboard attached to a 3/60?

When numlock or capslock is on, the corresponding LEDs should light.  They
don't.  They only time they every light is when Sunview start up, and they
all light up like a Xmas tree.

Is this a keyboard driver problem or a hardware problem?

uunet!dialogic!gerry   | 			   |	Dialogic Corporation
	OR	       |  			   |	129 Littleton Rd
gerry@dialogic.UUCP    |			   |	Parsippany, NJ 07054
		       |  			   |	(201)334-8450

kingalex%sun.pcl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk (Alex King -- CST IV) (10/16/89)

Sun says that the LEDs on TYPE-4 keyboards won't be supported until
release 4.1 on the Sun-3 and Sun-4 ranges.  This is clearly due to a lack
of driver support.

Alex

barto@ucsd.edu (David Barto) (10/17/89)

In article <2092@brazos.Rice.edu> dialogic!gerry@uunet.uu.net (Gerry Lachac) writes:
>Does anyone know how to make the LEDs (Numlock, Capslock, etc) work
>properly on a type 4 keyboard attached to a 3/60?
>
>When numlock or capslock is on, the corresponding LEDs should light.  They
>don't.  They only time they every light is when Sunview start up, and they
>all light up like a Xmas tree.
>
>Is this a keyboard driver problem or a hardware problem?

This exists in the keyboard driver in some ways, mostly in the application.

There exists commands which can be sent to the driver which will turn the
leds on and off (labeled KBD_CMD_LED1 KBD_CMD_NOLED1, KBD_CMD_LED2,
KBD_CMD_NOLED2).  These can be passed down to the keyboard using the
command

	var = KBD_CMD_LED1;
	ioctl(fd, KIOCCMD, &var);

and similar for other 'LED' commands.

The leds will be supported in 4.1.  (I suspect that they will be supported
in the kernel in 4.1, as the driver can recognize the CAPS LOCK key being
pressed and released.  [expect 4.1 to be a MUCH larger kernel...])

The reason you see them 'light up like a Xtmas tree' is that the keyboard
has been sent a 'KBD_CMD_RESET'.

David Barto                           uunet!megatek!barto
barto@net1.ucsd.edu                    ucsd!