[comp.sys.sun] Sun workstation

tomasz@sun2.fit.edu (10/11/89)

Hi Sun-users!

I am considering a purchase of a refurbished sun workstation.  Currently
my budget will allow only a 3/50 at ~$3000, no disk drive, 4 Meg of
memory. I would like to get an opinion of a more knowledgable folk on the
Types of extra but necessary expenses such as:

	* soft/hardware to support X windows
	* other necessary software
	* sun-compatible disk drives
	* fast modem
	* anything needed for a workstation at home (no nest)

Is there a better way to go in this price range? I love working on suns,
and I asume you do too, but sometimes the common sense takes over the
infactuation.  I would like to know what are the disadvantages, if any,
that I would face after the purchase of the 3/50.

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter

tomasz@sun2.fit.edu (10/11/89)

Hi Sun-users!

I am considering a purchase of a refurbished sun workstation.  Currently
my budget will allow only a 3/50 at ~$3000, no disk drive, 4 Meg of
memory. I would like to get an opinion of a more knowledgable folk on the
Types of extra but necessary expenses such as:

	* soft/hardware to support X windows
	* other necessary software
	* sun-compatible disk drives
	* fast modem
	* anything needed for a workstation at home (no nest)

Is there a better way to go in this price range? I love working on suns,
and I asume you do too, but sometimes the common sense takes over the
infactuation.  I would like to know what are the disadvantages, if any,
that I would face after the purchase of the 3/50.

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter
#!

perry@tektronix.TEK.COM (Perry Hutchison) (10/20/89)

In article <2090@brazos.Rice.edu> tomasz@sun2.fit.edu writes:
> I am considering a purchase of a refurbished sun workstation.  Currently
> my budget will allow only a 3/50 at ~$3000, no disk drive, 4 Meg of
> memory.
> extra but necessary expenses such as:
>       * sun-compatible disk drives
>       * anything needed for a workstation at home (no nest)

First the good news:
  We have had a used diskless 3/50 quoted at around $2000 (not $3000).

Now the bad news (aka where you get to spend the extra $1000):

If you won't be connected to a server, you absolutely must have a disk.
For a standalone system, I would consider 150Mb to be a minimum.  (If you
are planning on much of a news feed, better make it more like 300-500 Mb.)
Also, in order to install software and make backups, you need a tape.
(Installation can be accomplished by temporarily netting to someone else's
tape-equipped system, but that is too cumbersome for regular backups.)

You can save money by buying your Sun-compatible disk and tape from a
third- party suppliers -- there are ads in Unix World.  You can probably
save even more if you are willing and able to assemble your own.