[comp.sys.sun] SGI lp -> sun lpr laser queue?

YATES@a.chem.upenn.edu (Yates, John H.) (10/11/89)

I am in need of software that will allow an SGI machine (System V) lp
spool to a sun system with a laser printer and/or a VAX/VMS system with a
laser printer.

Any solutions or suggestions on where to look?

Public domain or shareware are probably necessary. (no big bucks to spend
for it).

A package for suns lpr printing to VAX/VMS was just obtained and
implemented from Dan Allen at NIST/NCSL. (advertised on INFOVAX) Internet:
allen@ecf.ncsl.nist.gov (hope he isn't deluged with requests)

Thanks, John
     John H. Yates , Ph.D.
     Director of the Chemistry Computer Facility
     Department of Chemistry
     University of Pennsylvania
     Philadelphia, PA 19104
     yates@a.chem.upenn.edu (INTERNET)
     yates%a.chem@upenn.edu (BITNET and other
                            non-domain name sites)
     (215)898-4714

YATES@a.chem.upenn.edu (YATES, JOHN H.) (10/23/89)

Here is the best response I got for my inquiry: (thanks Steven!)

>From:	IN%"sg04@gte.com"  "Steven Gutfreund" 19-OCT-1989 12:57
>To:	YATES@a.chem.upenn.edu
>Subj:	Re: SGI lp -> sun lpr laser queue?
>
>> I am in need of software that will allow an SGI machine (System V) lp
>> spool to a sun system with a laser printer and/or a VAX/VMS system with a
>> laser printer.
>
>SGI has an unsupported lpr program. I got it and tried it on a demo
>SGI system I had last week. It worked to the sun and and a DEC Ultrix
>machine.
>
>you can get it via their 800 number.

I indeed got it through the 800 number (e-mailed to me while we talked on
the phone even!). I haven't installed it yet but assume there will be no
problems. ;-)  . I asked if I could post it to a net and they asked that I
don't do that, but had no objection to my giving it out on request as long
as I did not modify it first. (It seems it came from a net originally and
SGI spiffed it up a little and are somehow concerned about legalities...)
So... I will send it out on request, but perhaps if everybody calls the
SGI 800 number asking for it, they will add its support in the generic OS.
I will at least provide the SGI provider (e-mail has return addresses :-}
) with the number of copies I send out... (4 already) maybe that will be
enough to convince them.