[comp.sys.sun] 330/370 Questions

chuck_sirvax_staatse@cup.portal.com (10/14/89)

We just recieved our 330 and have a few questions.

1) Are memory's for the Sparcstation 330,370, SPARCserver 330, 370 and 390
interchangeable?  Has anyone tried this?

2) Has anyone been able to expand SPARCstation 330 memory capacity over
the stated 56 megabyte?

3) How is a 330 different from a SPARCserver 390.

weber@uunet.uu.net (Jeff Weber) (10/16/89)

In article <2081@brazos.Rice.edu> chuck_sirvax_staatse@cup.portal.com writes:

>We just recieved our 330 and have a few questions.

No kidding!

>1) Are memory's for the Sparcstation 330,370, SPARCserver 330, 370 and 390
>interchangeable?  Has anyone tried this?

The 16MB memory board that Sun has designed for the 330 will not work in a
370 or 390 as far as I know.  I'm trying to find out if the memory board
for a 370/390 will work in a 330.  I think it should but it will of course
use up the remaining 9u slot in the 330.  That's not worth it to me.

>2) Has anyone been able to expand SPARCstation 330 memory capacity over
>the stated 56 megabyte?

If you read the manuals that came with your 330 you'd see how to put 4MB
SIMMS in.

>3) How is a 330 different from a SPARCserver 390.

In what respect?  They're both VME bus machines and they share the same
CPU.  That's about it from a hardware standpoint.

							Jeff Weber

sg04@gte.com (Steven Gutfreund) (10/23/89)

Can one put in mixed memory (4mb simms with 1mb simms) on a SparcStationI?