[comp.sys.sun] Replies to Make wierdness, no solution yet

bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) (10/23/89)

I've had several replies to my question(in Volume 8, Issue 165, message 12
of 17) about a peculiarity of make under OS 4.0.1; I'll respond to them
collectively here:

In mail dgh@Sun.COM (David Hough) writes:
>does .PRECIOUS help?

No, the problem is that when it's figuring out how to build something it
gets to checking the .u.f rule and then takes a detour to see if it can
build target from the .f instead of completing the check until it finds
the direct .u.a rule.  The .PRECIOUS macro doesn't help this.

In mail mike@ajax.bsd.uchicago.edu (Mike Rimkus) writes:
>Try
>
>	.SUFFIXES:
>	.SUFFIXES: .u $(SUFFIXES)
>
>or change SUFFIXES in /usr/include/make/default.mk, if you use this
>compiler system-wide, to put .u before .f.  RTFM on this: see the make(1)
>man page, "The Suffixes List".

I did RTFM quite carefully before I posted the message and this is one of
the things I tried.  This has the rather undesirable side-effect of making
it impossible to use .f.a, .o.a, and other rules if (for example) the make
was interrupted.  The exisence of the .u file and its precedence in the
suffix list means make will always use the .u as the starting point even
if the .f and .o are still there and the only action that needs to take
place is ar'ing the .o file into the .a.

Also, while I was out of town, I had a phone call, apparently from someone
at Sun who failed to leave a name or phone number.  Their suggestion
(filtered through the person who took the message, so I hope I've got it
right) was to remove the .make.state file and everything should be fine.

I'm not using .make.state or the .KEEP_STATE macro.  If this person can
email or call me (now that I'm back) I can make sure I've got the
suggestion correct.

So, in summary, there is no solution yet to the problems with make.  I'm
going to submit this as a bug report as soon as I can collect together the
information I need.  Thanks to all for their suggestions.

David Bernholdt			bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu
Quantum Theory Project		bernhold@ufpine.bitnet
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL  32611		904/392 6365