[comp.sys.sun] Won't resolve...

schriste@uceng.uc.edu (Steven V. Christensen) (10/19/89)

We have Sun 3/60 running Sun OS 4.0, and it serves as a yellow-pages
server for a Microvax II runing Ultrix V3.0 Rev 64.  There are 2 problems
with this:

1) The Sun doesn't run named, but the resolv.conf file correctly points to
a system serving the names (BTW, there is another Sun configured almost
identically which works, but it is running Sun OS 4.0.3c.) nslookup
correctly resolves the names, but telnet and ftp cannot seem to do so.
Anyone else have similar problems.

2) Whenever I re-make the YP files on the Sun (master) and it tries to
push the files to the other host (slave), I get the message:

		yp server not registered at <ultrix-hostname>.

Someone told me that YP won't work with this combination of machines. Any
comments?

As always, your comments are _greatly_ appreciated!

		Steven

marty@puppsr3.princeton.edu (marty ryba) (10/25/89)

schriste@uceng.uc.edu (Steven V. Christensen) writes:
>We have Sun 3/60 running Sun OS 4.0, and it serves as a yellow-pages
>server for a Microvax II runing Ultrix V3.0 Rev 64.  There are 2 problems
>with this:

>1) The Sun doesn't run named, but the resolv.conf file correctly points to
>a system serving the names (BTW, there is another Sun configured almost
>identically which works, but it is running Sun OS 4.0.3c.) nslookup
>correctly resolves the names, but telnet and ftp cannot seem to do so.
>Anyone else have similar problems.

Personal beef: (and answer to your problem) This is only documented in the
makedbm(8) page and nowhere else!!!

You must edit your makefile in /var/yp to run makedbm - -b (instead of
just the - argument) for the hosts part of the yp database.  The change is
in two places, near each other.  Hope it solves your problem.  I blew many
hours until a friend found the answer (we had other working Sun4's to
guide us).

Marty Ryba (slave physics grad student)