[comp.sys.sun] Diskless 3/80

Don.Weeks@uunet.uu.net (Don Weeks) (10/27/89)

 > From: Don.Weeks@p0.f3107.n124.z1.fidonet.org (Don Weeks)Date: 17
 > Oct 89 23:06:00 GMTOrganization: Sun-Spots
 > Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
 >
 > Hi,
 >
 > Has anyone experienced trouble when hosting a 3/80 diskless from a
 > 3/260.Everything works fine until you go in to Sunview. Then, I
 > get a bus traperror MMU Reg 401. It then proceeds to core dump.
 > The system will notreboot even with a K2. It must be shut off and
 > then turned back on. Isuspect a kernel problem. Some driver
 > kicking in that does not need to bethere. Any help would be
 > appreciated.

Answering my own mail, Ha!

This was a kernel problem. The Sun reps in California were very interested
in the fix. It appears that the GENERIC kernel will not allow sunview to
run and there are other nasties that some in our organization ran into. I
had to make a new kernel (GENERIC will boot and run the C compiler) using
the DL80 config file. However, there is even a bug here in that the line:

config     vmunix      root on nfs

had to read:

config     vmunix      swap generic

Hope this helps someone with a similar problem.

Internet: Don.Weeks@p0.f3107.n124.z1.FIDONET.ORG
UUCP: ...!attctc!tlsi!3107.0!Don.Weeks
Note: TLSI is a free gateway between Usenet & Fidonet. For info write to root.