[comp.sys.sun] SMD on the SPARCstation

rzh@uunet.uu.net (Roger Hanscom) (10/16/89)

Here's an interesting comment I picked up the other day.  A third party
peripherals vendor claimed to have put one of the new 1Gbyte SMD drives
from CDC on a 753 controller and plugged it into a SPARCstation.  Sun says
it won't work, but he said it would (is Sun trying to push IPI instead??).
The 753 controller is "splashed" on full sized VME boards, and can be had
in a much smaller version that will fit in the "pizza box".  Comments
anyone??

            roger           rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (10/23/89)

In article <2274@brazos.Rice.edu> lll-lcc!rzh@uunet.uu.net (Roger Hanscom) writes:

>Here's an interesting comment I picked up the other day.  A third party
>peripherals vendor claimed to have put one of the new 1Gbyte SMD drives
>from CDC on a 753 controller and plugged it into a SPARCstation.  Sun says
>it won't work, but he said it would (is Sun trying to push IPI instead??).
>The 753 controller is "splashed" on full sized VME boards, and can be had
>in a much smaller version that will fit in the "pizza box".  Comments
>anyone??

He probably meant a Sparcstation-330. This system has 3 standard 9u VME
slots, 2 6u VME slots, and 2 3u slots dedicated for memory expansion. The
XY753 comes in a 6u VME package. Basically plugging the 753 into a 6u slot
works except for the following problems.

1.  The cardcage does not meet VME specs as to the size and spacing of the
boards. There may be some physical problems.

2.  The power supply only supplies 500ma on the -12v line, the 753
requires at least this much. It may work, it may not. If you have 2 drives
or fewer connected, it might work.

I have heard that Sun is working on addressing these problems. I don't
know when they will be fixed though.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/02/89)

In article <2448@brazos.Rice.edu> weber@cg-atla.samsung.com (Jeff Weber) writes:

>In article <2274@brazos.Rice.edu> lll-lcc!rzh@uunet.uu.net (Roger Hanscom) writes:
>>
>>Here's an interesting comment I picked up the other day.  A third party
>>peripherals vendor claimed to have put one of the new 1Gbyte SMD drives
>>   STUFF DELETED...
>
>Has anyone figured out how to BOOT the SMD-4/753/7053 from the boot ROM?
>
>I've got it to work via the boot on the first install tape but I haven't
>got it to work directly from the ROM monitor.

I have heard (but not verified, I don't have one) that the boot rom on the
330 doesn't boot an SMD disk. It does work on a 370 though (I have one of
those). No big problem though, just boot off scsi and let vmunix finish
booting off the SMD. Or you could just boot entirely off the scsi and use
the SMD for data or additional swap (swapon). This doesn't require rom
support.  There are other considerations to putting an XY753 in a 330. I
mentioned them on this newsgroup recently. If anyone missed it, e-mail me
and I will give you the latest scoop. Plus I have info on how to add
memory without buying sun's expensive memory boards.

Russ Poffenberger
DOMAIN: poffen@sj.ate.slb.com        UUCP: {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!poffen

zjat02@uunet.uu.net (Jon A. Tankersley) (11/03/89)

The Xylogics 753 works fine with the 892MB drives.  Don't know about the
1GB drives.  We had one in our 4/330 during a dog and pony show we put on.
Worked fine spooling large plots to a Versatec - the IKON 88 board also
works.  Just use the shorter form factor, not the 900U.

-tank-
#include <std/disclaimer.h>		/* nobody knows the trouble I .... */
tank@apctrc.trc.amoco.com    ..!uunet!apctrc!tank