[comp.sys.sun] How I can FTP from Europe to USA ?

EAJUAN@EBRUPC51.BITNET (11/02/89)

On several of the back issues of SunSpots there are references to freely
available programs installed on several servers all around the world.

I am very interested on accessing several servers in the USA with public
domain software. However, here in Spain we have no direct access to the
USA ARPA net.  So the question is : how can I manage to FTP to these
servers ?

Some of them (e.g. the Rice one) can be accessed via e-mail but many others
not.

Going from one of the computers on my Institute I have access to Digital Decnet
through which it is possible to reach USA computers (someone has told me
that these computers are the ones connected to Hepnet). A possible
solution to my problem would be to login to one of these computers
connected also to ARPA, FTP'ing the software and sending it back to my
computer in Spain. However, I have no account on them. Does somebody know
whether there exists a public account on any of these machines which
allows me to do that ?

Does anybody has any other suggestion ?

Thanks in advance and best regards from Spain.

           Joan Ilari i Valenti     EAJUAN%EBRUPC51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
           Assoc. Professor         EAJUAN%TOP.UPC.ES@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

Ed's Note: I have heard rumors that uunet.uu.net has a service that can be
used by any site which does not have FTP capability to retrive things from
FTP sites, where you send them the site and name of the file and they will
FTP it for you and then mail it back to you. I don't really have the full
information on this though, I've just heard that the service exists.  I'd
welcome any comments from someone that knows their real policy on this,
especially since this may not be a service extended to "everyone in the
known universe".

EAJUAN@TOP.UPC.ES (11/15/89)

> On several of the back issues of SunSpots there are references to freely
> available programs installed on several servers all around the world.
>
> I am very interested on accessing several servers in the USA with public
> domain software. However, here in Spain we have no direct access to the
> USA ARPA net. So the question is : how can I manage to FTP to these
> servers ?

I have received two answers to these question. One from Dietrich Bartel
(ZDV043@DJUKFA11) and another one from Marcel Bernards (ESU0130@HPEENR51).
Both of them suggest the same solution : making use of BITFTP, a package
installed on a server in Princeton University and allowing to access ARPA
from BITNET. I have tried it and it runs pretty well !

For further information, send a HELP message to BITFTP@PUCC.

tim@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) (11/16/89)

In article <2782@brazos.Rice.edu> EAJUAN@EBRUPC51.BITNET writes:
<Ed's Note: I have heard rumors that uunet.uu.net has a service that can be
<used by any site which does not have FTP capability to retrive things from
<FTP sites, where you send them the site and name of the file and they will
<FTP it for you and then mail it back to you. I don't really have the full
<information on this though, I've just heard that the service exists.  I'd
<welcome any comments from someone that knows their real policy on this,
<especially since this may not be a service extended to "everyone in the
<known universe".

The proxy-FTP service offered by uunet does exist but is available only to
uunet customers. There is no way that they could afford the time and
manpower that would be required to handle FTP requests for any old
non-Internet type. Also, since most of the FTP'able files are quite large,
it would be quite unfair to ask systems between uunet and the requesting
system to pass along the file.