[comp.sys.sun] Differing clock speeds on Sparcs?

whb@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (wilson.h.bent..jr) (11/07/89)

In article <2623@brazos.Rice.edu> brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) writes:
>We have 12 SparcStation 1's with nearly identical configurations.  BUT, as
>was pointed out by one of our users, 3 of them are slower than the rest.
>Here's an example [ highly edited ]
>atto:	        2.6 real         2.4 user         0.1 sys
>deca:	        4.0 real         3.8 user (!)     0.1 sys

We had a similar problem; it turned out that the slower machines had
earlier revisions of CPU boards.  No, I don't remember the rev. numbers,
but if it helps, I've got the machine's serial numbers:

	Slow:	925F3928 926F0832
	Fast:	926F0854 926F0893

This is based on experience; we complained about our slow machines, Sun
sent us newer-rev CPU boards (which we installed - easy!), and they turned
into fast machines.

Side note: from what I understand, serial numbers can be decoded thusly:

	925F3928
	^^ ^^----- "real" serial number (sequence number)
	|| +------ Manufacturing location?  Not sure.
	|+-------- Week-of-year (here, 25)
	+--------- Year minus 1980 (here, 1989)

So from our machines, it looks as though somewhere between #832 and #854
they started using a new, faster CPU board.  If you're still under
warranty or have hardware support, you're in luck.  Otherwise...

Wilson H. Bent, Jr.		... att!hoh-2!whb (whb@hoh-2.ATT.COM)
AT&T - Bell Laboratories	HOH L-274A
Holmdel, NJ 07733		(201) 888-7129

jeremy@kheops.cmi.no (Jeremy Cook) (11/13/89)

We have no way of determining whether we have fast or slow SPARCS as they
all run at the same speed. Does anyone have a short program which we could
run which would determine which type of CPU we have?

-- Jeremy Cook
   (jeremy@kheops.cmi.no)

joe@uunet.uu.net (Joe Michel-Angelo) (11/20/89)

In article <2955@brazos.Rice.edu>, by jeremy@kheops.cmi.no (Jeremy Cook):
> all run at the same speed. Does anyone have a short program which we could
> run which would determine which type of CPU we have?

The hostid of each machine is supposed to indicate the CPU/machine type.
Not sure if sun is still living up to that convention, but in the older
days, they were.

If I remember correctly, the 1st byte is the cpu type, the second is the
machine type. The appended shell script may be useful. Note that this
script doesn't recognize a sparc-type cpu yet (since the script was
written 2 yrs ago....), but i think the cpu type is 5 for sparc. just
sample the output of `hostid` and you'll get the idea...

someplace along the line, i belive the kernel config file also makes note
of the machine type (# connection for machine type X), so, kernel config
files are a source or further data for the attached script.

Ed's Note: Script placed in archives.

FTP:	Hostname : titan.rice.edu (128.42.30.1)
	Directory: sun-source
	Filename : machtype.script

Archive Server Address: archive-server@rice.edu
Archive Server Command: send sun-source machtype.script