[comp.sys.sun] Sun 4 lookalike/thinkalikes

merrill@bucasb.bu.edu (John Merrill) (11/11/89)

My group is interested in purchasing serveral servers to support graduate
student computing needs.  These machines will be used in an environment
very unlike the standard time-shared environment; most, if not all, of our
users are heavily compute-bound.  It is our desire to buy several
compute-powerful, but IO-weak, UNIX systems.  These systems must run
X11R3, but they need not have attached displays.  (In fact, it might be
something of an advantage if they did not.)  We would, if possible, prefer
to have most of the BSD 4.k (1 <= k <= 5) utilities around, although this
is not a necessity.  They must also be relatively inexpensive; we cannot
afford to spend huge amounts.

We are considering the purchase of SparcStation I's with large amounts of
associated RAM and small third party disks to provide compute power.  Are
there other vendors who could provide similar or near-equivalent
performance for less money?  Do the readers of this mailing list think
that there are other sun configurations which can provide roughly
equivalent performance for the dough?  Please E-mail me, and I'll
summarize to the mailing list if there is interest.

John Merrill			|	ARPA:	merrill@bucasb.bu.edu
Graduate Program in		|
  Cognitive and Neural Systems	|
111 Cummington Street		|
Boston, Mass. 02215		|	Phone:	(617) 353-5765

fdr@solbourne.com (Russ Fellows) (11/16/89)

I am somewhat biased, on the information that I am giving but not much.
There is currently one Sun 4 compatible workstation shipping.  Solbourne
Computers is currently shipping 100% binary compatible (guaranteed)
workstations.  Since you seemed to be most concerned wiht HEAVY compute
ability, and less so with IO performance, Solbourne's machines are quite
applicable.  Currently the price/ performance advantage over Sun's is as
high as 3 to 1.  Solbourne is the ONLY company currently shipping 33 MHz
Sun 4 SPARC machines.  Also, the machines are designed around a central
bus (about 128 Mb / sercond) with the ability to have up to 4 CPU's and 64
MB of memory in one machine.  Since the OS is designed around a
master/slave relationship some applications (particularly parallel type
programs, such as Neural Net simultaions) have a 4X performance over 1 CPU
systems.  Also, the 33MHz SPARC board gives about 2X the performance of a
16MHz Fujitsu board (Sun 4 currently uses 16 MHz Fujitsu).

Thus for about 2 times the money of a Sun 4 you can get a Solbourne Series 5
(the 33 MHz Cypress chip), which could give you 8X the performance for your
applications.

Solbourne's address is:

		Solbourne Computers Inc.
		1600 Pike Rd.
		Longmont, CO.  80501
		ph. 1-(303)-772-3400

	Russ Fellows
	somewhat employed by the above.

treed@uunet.uu.net (Timothy Reed) (11/21/89)

>Computers is currently shipping 100% binary compatible (guaranteed)
>workstations.  Since you seemed to be most concerned wiht HEAVY compute
>ability, and less so with IO performance, Solbourne's machines are quite
>applicable.

Well, 99% compatible.  According to Solbourne, Sybase SQL server does
*not* run on Solbourne, though the front end stuff will.

Tim Reed
Fusion Systems Group, Ltd.