[comp.sys.sun] Remote Windows under Sunview

hansel@aerospace.aero.org (Steven J. Hansel) (11/14/89)

I was wondering if there is any way to get one Sun to open Sunview windows
on another Sun, like X windows does.  I know that this isn't possible with
just Sunview, but it seems that is should be possible to intercept calls
to the Sunview library and convert them into messages to send over the
net.

Does anyone know of a way to do this or some reason why this is impossibe?

The reason I want to do this is we have some very expensive software that
is liscenced to run only on one CPU and it would be nice to use other suns
as Sunview terminals.  This software only runs under Sunview, not X
windows.

Thanks in Advance.
	Steve Hansel
	hansel@aerospace.aero.org

schwartz@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (11/27/89)

Steve Hansel writes:
| I was wondering if there is any way to get one Sun to open Sunview windows
| on another Sun, like X windows does.  I know that this isn't possible with
| just Sunview, but it seems that is should be possible to intercept calls
| to the Sunview library and convert them into messages to send over the
| net.

What Steve suggests has been done, and the code is available for free.  It
is part of the ET++ toolkit from ETH, which I think is available by ftp
from cs.rochester.edu, and probably other places as well.  C++ is required
if you want to compile this stuff, but the distribution includes sun3
binaries that you can try out.

Scott Schwartz		<schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu>

khb@sun.com (11/28/89)

In article <3189@brazos.Rice.edu> it is written:

>I was wondering if there is any way to get one Sun to open Sunview windows
>on another Sun, like X windows does.  I know that this isn't possible with
>just Sunview, but it seems that is should be possible to intercept calls
>to the Sunview library and convert them into messages to send over the
>net.

sunview, as it stands, is kernal based. so doing what you'd like probably
requires a complete source code license ($$).

I think you may be able to do what you want with xview/openlook.

Chat with your local sales office, and if they can't come up with an
expert ask to chat with their windows ambassador.

Don't mention me, or that anyone from galactic HQ said this.

cheers

Keith H. Bierman    |*My thoughts are my own. !! kbierman@sun.com