[net.news.group] New

mcb@k.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Browne) (10/22/85)

I would like to suggest the creation of a new newsgroup -- net.bizarre.
This newsgroup would be used to discuss strange food, strange street signs,
strange animals (and animal simulations), large prime numbers, Jenny the
operator at Time-Life books, and other "strange postings and reports of odd
occurrences".

I apologize for cross-posting to net.flame and net.misc, but it is clear
that the people who would be most interested in net.bizarre don't read
net.news.group.  If they did, net.bizarre wouldn't have been deleted in the
first place.
--
UUCP: ..!seismo!k.cs.cmu.edu!mcb		ARPA: mcb@k.cs.cmu.edu

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (10/23/85)

In article <615@k.cs.cmu.edu>, mcb@k.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Browne) writes:
> I would like to suggest the creation of a new newsgroup -- net.bizarre.
> This newsgroup would be used to discuss strange food, strange street signs,
> strange animals (and animal simulations), large prime numbers, Jenny the
> operator at Time-Life books, and other "strange postings and reports of odd
> occurrences".

	Somebody please tell me that this guy is joking. Pretty poor
humor if you ask me. (I know you didn't so I'll give you my opinion
anyway.) Perhaps he should have posted to net.jokes ;-)

--
Edward C. Bennett

UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward

/* A charter member of the Scooter bunch */

"Goodnight M.A."

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/23/85)

> I would like to suggest the creation of a new newsgroup -- net.bizarre.
> UUCP: ..!seismo!k.cs.cmu.edu!mcb		ARPA: mcb@k.cs.cmu.edu

	Quite aside from any arguments about whether the stuff posted to
net.bizarre in the past was really bizarre or not, I am dead set against it
returning.  It encourages the idea that the net is a plaything, to be used
as a source of entertainment with no regard for who pays the bills.  This
goes for net.jokes and net.flame as well.

	Entertainment and humor are good things, but we should not presume
to think that our employers are willing to pay for it.
--
Roy Smith <allegra!phri!roy>
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

acw@sigvme.UUCP (Art Willis) (10/26/85)

Subject: Re: New (?) Newsgroup Request - net.bizarre
Newsgroups: net.news.group,net.flame,net.misc

In article <615@k.cs.cmu.edu>, mcb@k.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Browne) writes:
> I would like to suggest the creation of a new newsgroup -- net.bizarre.
> This newsgroup would be used to discuss strange food, strange street signs,
> strange animals (and animal simulations), large prime numbers, Jenny the
> operator at Time-Life books, and other "strange postings and reports of odd
> occurrences".

I also vote for the creation of such a news group.  Since, however,
"The net cops" seem to require a demonstrated volume of postings as
part of the creation requirements, I propose that we conduct our
discussions in net.misc (since, by their very nature, the discussions
tend to be very misc.) until such time as we achieve the required
critical mass.

	Art Willis
	philabs!prls!sigvme!acw  or
	ucbvax!amdcad!sigvme!acw

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) (10/28/85)

One more vote to create this "new" group...

If you know the alphabet up to 'k', you can teach it up to 'k'.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET
ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_akaa

rich@aoa.UUCP (Rich Snow) (11/18/85)

Expires:12/1/85

>> I would like to suggest the creation of a new newsgroup -- net.bizarre.
>>
>I also vote for the creation of such a news group.  Since, however,
>discussions in net.misc (since, by their very nature, the discussions
>critical mass.

It must be a new form of PERPETUAL MOTION machine!
DO they have street names in Tallahasee??
				-rich