[comp.sys.sun] Strange State

dregis@pldote.intel.com (~Dave Regis) (09/22/89)

On a number of occasions, I've managed to get my s386i in a strange state
in which all windows seem to become read only.  When trying to select
text, the highlighted text is underlined rather than inverse-ed.  I
usually manage to enter the state when editing, and I may be hitting some
keys unintentionally.  The only way I've found to exit the state is be
re-booting.  Exiting sunview doesn't do it, logging out doesn't do it.
Once or twice I managed to get back to the normal mode by fiddling with
different key/mouse combinations, but I can never recreate the sequence...

Anyone have any clues as to what I'm seeing?  I searched the manuals and
found no reference to what I described; it sure is frustrating!

Dave Regis

mike@uunet.uu.net (Mike Crawford) (10/05/89)

In article <1718@brazos.Rice.edu> dregis@pldote.intel.com (~Dave Regis) writes:

>On a number of occasions, I've managed to get my s386i in a strange state
>in which all windows seem to become read only.  When trying to select
>text, the highlighted text is underlined rather than inverse-ed.  I
>usually manage to enter the state when editing, and I may be hitting some
>keys unintentionally.  The only way I've found to exit the state is be
>re-booting.

We have seen something like this on our 3/80.  The windows are not
read-only, as we can still type into them, but the highlighting works as
you describe.  This may have something to do with the "secondary
selection" under SunView, which underlines, being called when primary
selection is desired.

I worked with Sun tech support about this for some time.  They had never
seen the problem before, and I eventually suggested they just file it as a
bug, as they were unable to reproduce the problem themselves.  It has been
reported by others as well; someone said it could be fixed by pressing F9,
but it did not work for me.

You don't have to reboot, though, just kill and restart the selection_svc
daemon.  Exit sunview, and while running as root from the shell:

% ps -ax | grep selection_svc | grep -v grep
  276 co IW    0:00 selection_svc
% kill -9 276
% selection_svc &

Then start up sunview again and things should work.

Michael David Crawford			Consulting for:
Oddball Enterprises			Octel Communications Corp
694 Nobel Drive				890 Tasman Drive
Santa Cruz, CA 95060			Milpitas CA 95035
uunet!apple!vsi1!octel!mike
CI$ 72377,623

kathryn@sunkist.west.sun.com (Kathryn Fielding) (11/30/89)

In previous issues, people have mentioned a strange state that sunview can
get into where instead of highlighting, it underlines, and stuff etc.
fail to work. I talked to Sun and the engineer said that it was a problem
with selection_svc where it goes into a secondary selection state, and
refuses to go back to a primary selection state. The work-around is to
press the L1 key. I tried it, and this seems to fix the problem.
Otherwise, as other people have mentioned, you have to kill selection_svc
and restart sunview.

-Kathryn

{zardoz|sun!sunkist}!ohio!kathryn           | My opinions are exclusively
kathryn@thomas.com                          | mine!