[comp.sys.sun] Sun-3 vs. Sun-4 run-time library differences?

malczews%aludra.usc.edu@usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (11/22/89)

I was wondering whether there might be differences between the run-time
librares distributed with the Sun-3 and Sun-4 workstations (e.g.,
different parameter requirements, different numbers of parameters, etc).

Similarly, might there be any other differences of which one need be aware?

(I'm pretty new to the unix realm, so any help/pointers would be appreciated.)

  -- Frank Malczewski		(malczews@girtab.usc.edu)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (12/04/89)

In article <3328@brazos.Rice.edu> malczews@aludra.usc.edu writes:

>I was wondering whether there might be differences between the run-time
>librares distributed with the Sun-3 and Sun-4 workstations (e.g.,
>different parameter requirements, different numbers of parameters, etc).
>
>Similarly, might there be any other differences of which one need be aware?
>
>(I'm pretty new to the unix realm, so any help/pointers would be appreciated.)

Besides the obvious distinction that the two libraries are different
binary code, the two differences I am aware of are alloca() and varargs.

If you use alloca(), then on a Sun-4, you MUST #include <alloca.h>. This
is because alloca() does not exist in the library on a Sun-4, it is kind
of a wierd built-in thing. Of course, for good protability, you should
include alloca.h regardless of architecture (there is a #ifdef sparc in
the module so it is a do-nothing on Sun-3).

The other thing to watch out for is the use of varargs. YOU MUST use
varargs.h and do everything as exactly described in varargs.h. Again this
is a built-in type of thing on a Sun-4 and it is critical that you do
thing correctly or it WILL crash.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254