[comp.sys.sun] Can a SunView window scroll without editing?

jes@mbio.med.upenn.edu (Joe Smith) (12/01/89)

Why do I have to choose totally dumb windows (shelltool) or windows that
are full text editors (cmdtool)?  Of course when editing is disabled in a
cmdtool, you lose the scrollback.

Could one easily write a SunView program to create a scrollable window
without all the Textedit rot?  Does such a thing already exist?

 Joe Smith
 University of Pennsylvania                    jes@mbio.med.upenn.edu
 Dept. of Biochemistry and Biophysics          (215) 898-8348
 Philadelphia, PA 19104-6059

zador-anthony@yale.edu (anthony zador) (12/20/89)

In article <3785@brazos.Rice.edu> jes@mbio.med.upenn.edu (Joe Smith) writes:

>Why do I have to choose totally dumb windows (shelltool) or windows that
>are full text editors (cmdtool)?  Of course when editing is disabled in a
>cmdtool, you lose the scrollback.

I have a related question. I use tcsh, which allows one to review recent
commands using the up-arrow (a nice feature copied from VMS, i guess).
This feature is somehow disabled in any suntool window with a scroll bar,
eg a cmdtool.  It works in X windows with scroolbars.