[comp.sys.sun] Accessing ethernet.

jms@tardis.tymnet.com (Joe Smith) (11/18/89)

In article <2636@brazos.Rice.edu> sarge@metapsy.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) writes:
>This may be  dumb question and, if so, I apologize, but does anyone know
>how to address an ethernet connection explicitly (e.g. in an L.sys file)?

You cannot access ethernet the same way as /dev/ttya.  The HoneyDanBer
implementation of UUCP is supposed to be able to build a connection
through the ethernet as a TCP port, but the version of UUCP that Sun
distributes does not have this feature.

For reading netnews, you can use NNTP which can run over an ethernet and
completely bypasses UUCP as its transport mechanism.

net@TUB.BITNET (Oliver Laumann) (12/02/89)

In article <3216@brazos.Rice.edu> you write:
> You cannot access ethernet the same way as /dev/ttya.  The HoneyDanBer
> implementation of UUCP is supposed to be able to build a connection
> through the ethernet as a TCP port, but the version of UUCP that Sun
> distributes does not have this feature.

I'm quite sure Sun's version of UUCP does have this feature.  If you want
to poll a site over Ethernet, just replace DIR (or ACU) in the
corresponding entry in L.sys by TCP and make sure your /etc/services has
an entry like

uucp            540/tcp         uucpd           # uucp daemon

and that the `uucpd' is listed in /etc/inetd.conf on the remote system.

Regards,
Oliver Laumann              net@TUB.BITNET              net@tub.UUCP

bauman@shell.com (Evan Bauman) (12/20/89)

>I'm quite sure Sun's version of UUCP does have this feature.  If you want
>to poll a site over Ethernet, just replace DIR (or ACU) in the
>corresponding entry in L.sys by TCP and make sure your /etc/services has
>an entry like
>
>uucp            540/tcp         uucpd           # uucp daemon
>
>and that the `uucpd' is listed in /etc/inetd.conf on the remote system.

This is definitely *in*correct.  Sun has never supplied TCP support in its
uucp and, as far as I know, has never promised to do so.  As proof, I
offer the absence of uucpd in the standard release of SunOS 3.X and 4.X.

To get TCP support, you must have a source license for BSD.  Compile the
source for uucp and install on your Sun and away you go.  There were some
diffs that were necessary for SunOS 3.X.  I got a copy a while back from
someone at uunet, so I guess they may be available from that site via ftp.
I have no idea whether there is a separate set of diffs for SunOS 4.X.

	Evan G. Bauman
	Shell Development Company - Westhollow Research Center
	PO Box 1380; Houston, TX 77251-1380
	bauman@shell.com   or for the uucp types: {sun,bcm}!shell!bauman

guy@uunet.uu.net (Guy Harris) (12/27/89)

>> You cannot access ethernet the same way as /dev/ttya.  The HoneyDanBer
>> implementation of UUCP is supposed to be able to build a connection
>> through the ethernet as a TCP port, but the version of UUCP that Sun
>> distributes does not have this feature.
>
>I'm quite sure Sun's version of UUCP does have this feature.

I'm quite sure Sun's version of UUCP, as it comes off the SunOS
distribution tape in currently-available releases, does *not* have this
feature; I've seen the source code (and tried doing

	strings -3 /usr/lib/uucp/uucico | egrep TCP

which didn't find TCP; it did find ACU when I grepped for it).  It'll be
in the one in SunOS 4.1, unless they've taken it out; I know that because
I'm the one who put Peter Honeyman's code to support it into the
S5R3.2-HDB-based SunOS 4.1 UUCP (along with the "max grade" stuff, and
various other of Peter's improvements).

>and that the `uucpd' is listed in /etc/inetd.conf on the remote system.

Fat lot of good that'll do you; "uucpd" doesn't come with SunOS prior to
SunOS 4.1 (where it'll be called "in.uucpd" as per the renaming of other
Internet daemons, unless they've changed the name; I figured I'd go with
the flow...).

If you want to run UUCP-over-TCP, and you have 4.3BSD or 4.3-tahoe source,
try bringing up that version.  It's not just a drop-in; the 4.3BSD version
still has some null-pointer-dereferencing problems, and the 4.3-tahoe
version apparently requires, among other things, the 4.3-tahoe version of
"getopt" rather than the S5-derived "getopt" in SunOS.  They also require
you to move subdirectories of "/usr/spool/uucp" around and create some new
ones, and to change some of the configuration files.