[comp.sys.sun] University Ingres on a Sparc Station 1

rod@brillig.umd.edu (Rodrigo Fontecilla) (01/30/90)

I just ftp-ed University Ingres and succesfully compiled it on my
SparcStation 1 running SUNOS 4.0.3. However, when I tried to use the demo
relation it blows up. Most commands work but the most important: retrieve
does not. Below is the ingres session. Any suggestions?  Recompile with
different options? I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks in
advance.

e-mail to rod@brillig.umd.edu

	benn [ingres] > ingres demo
	INGRES version 8.9 (6/12/88) login
	Tue Jan  2 07:44:11 1990

	Greetings and Felicitations!

	 go
	 * range of i is item
	 * \g
	 Executing . . .

	  continue
	  * retrieve (i.all)
	  * \g
	  Executing . . .

	   |number|name                |dept  |price |qoh   |suppli|
	   |-------------------------------------------------------|
	   3570: segmentation violation -- Core Dumped
	   pid list: 3570
	   INGRES version 8.9 (6/12/88) logout
	   Tue Jan  2 07:44:28 1990
	   goodbye ingres -- come again

toyama@ae.keio.ac.jp (Motomichi Toyama) (02/06/90)

   >From: rod@brillig.umd.edu (Rodrigo Fontecilla)
   >Date: 29 Jan 90 18:52:02 GMT
   >
   >I just ftp-ed University Ingres and succesfully compiled it on my
   >SparcStation 1 running SUNOS 4.0.3. However, when I tried to use the demo
   >relation it blows up. Most commands work but the most important: retrieve
   >does not. Below is the ingres session. Any suggestions?  Recompile with
   >different options? I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks in
   >advance.

I made the following patch to make ingres8.9 runnable on my SparcStation1.
It hasn't been tested extensively, but seems work properly.

Assuming the current directory is ~ingres/source. You can patch the
sources via the command:

                patch -p0 < ingres.patch

[[Ed's Note: placed in archives at Rice.]]

FTP:	Hostname : titan.rice.edu (128.42.1.30)
	Directory: sun-source
	Filename : ingres.patch

Archive Server Address: archive-server@rice.edu
Archive Server Command: send sun-source ingres.patch