[comp.sys.sun] PostScript printing without Transcript?

rwl@umree.ee.umr.edu (Wayne Little) (12/23/89)

Anyone running a PostScript printer on a sun without Transcript?

It seems that sending PostScript documents should work fine through the
standard lpr interface?  The 2 obvious things one might miss from the
Transcript package ("LaserWriter Interface Kit") are ptroff & the
raster-to-PS filter.  Anything else essential?

With our university discounts on the HP LaserJet IIp, it looks like we
should be able to get one with 2 MB of memory & PostScript (when its
ready) for under $2000.00.  It seems like a real shame to turn around and
pay just as much ($1800.00 Non-Discountable) to sun for the Transcript
package.

Are there any common-domain alternatives, or do we have to cough up $1800?
Or am I all wet & its really worth it?  Convince me :-) [ Then maybe I can
convince the prof. who almost choked to death when I told him about the
$1800 price tag to "interface" his printer. :-) ]

david@sacto.west.sun.com (David Kensiski) (12/31/89)

In Sun-Spots v8n132, rwl@umree.ee.umr.edu (Wayne Little) writes:

> It seems that sending PostScript documents should work fine through the
> standard lpr interface?

Yes, it does work fine.  We have Transcript, but I have tested the
hardware connection to our printer this way.

> The 2 obvious things one might miss from the Transcript package
> ("LaserWriter Interface Kit") are ptroff & the raster-to-PS filter.
> Anything else essential?

Well, the obvious thing that is missing is enscript, the filter that
generates PostScript from a flat ASCII file.  There may be a PD version of
enscript out there, but without it, all you will be able to print are
PostScript documents.

Of course, you may never need to print an ASCII file...

David L. Kensiski, KB6HCN     Martin Marietta Data Systems
Software Engineer             1540 River Park Drive, Suite 213
Phone: (916) 929-8844         Sacramento, CA  95815
UUCP: sun!sacto!mmsac!david   INTERNET: mmsac!david@sacto.West.Sun.COM

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (01/10/90)

In article <4185@brazos.Rice.edu> mmsac!david@sacto.west.sun.com (David Kensiski) writes:

>> The 2 obvious things one might miss from the Transcript package
>> ("LaserWriter Interface Kit") are ptroff & the raster-to-PS filter.
>> Anything else essential?
>
>Well, the obvious thing that is missing is enscript, the filter that
>generates PostScript from a flat ASCII file.  There may be a PD version of
>enscript out there, but without it, all you will be able to print are
>PostScript documents.

That's not true. If you have the transcript package, you can print ASCII files
just fine on your postscript printer. To print a file that is already in
postscript format, you must make sure the first line of the file is '%!'.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254

chandave@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Davy Chan) (01/28/90)

In article <4185@brazos.Rice.edu>, mmsac!david@sacto (David Kensiski) writes:
**>In Sun-Spots v8n132, rwl@umree.ee.umr.edu (Wayne Little) writes:
**>
**>> The 2 obvious things one might miss from the Transcript package
**>> ("LaserWriter Interface Kit") are ptroff & the raster-to-PS filter.
**>> Anything else essential?
**>
**>Well, the obvious thing that is missing is enscript, the filter that
**>generates PostScript from a flat ASCII file.  There may be a PD version of
**>enscript out there, but without it, all you will be able to print are
**>PostScript documents.

Yes, there are a lot of freely distributed programs that convert ASCII to
postscript (lwf and pps just to name two).  Also, there are freely
distributed programs that provide the raster->PS or sunview screendumps to
PS (eg. pbmplus which does a heck of a lot more graphical conversions than
you could shake a stick at!).  Being from a University background ("first
you ask for money to buy the machine and now you expect ME to provide
money for you to buy SOFTWARE !!?!?"), I've grown to first look at freely
distributed software before going proprietary.  I've been running my
Vaxen's and Sun Server on FD software for the past couple years.  I don't
miss not having the Transcript package (lwf and pps takes care of ascii
and TeX & xfig takes care of my desktop publishing needs.

It has to be said that proprietary software might make your life easier by
eliminating a couple of in-between steps for format conversions but I feel
a lot more secure when I have the sources to look at and tweek if there's
something I don't like or understand about PS software.

(Yes, I'm a GNU person!)

Davy Chan
chandave@pyrite.som.cwru.edu [129.22.48.4]
		or
chandave@skybridge.scl.cwru.edu [129.22.32.1]
...!{sun,uunet,decvax}!cwjcc!{pyrite,skybridge}!chandave

doug@JHUVMS.BITNET (01/29/90)

In article <4322@brazos.Rice.edu> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com writes:
>just fine on your postscript printer. To print a file that is already in
>postscript format, you must make sure the first line of the file is '%!'.

That sounds right but we have a Sun running transcript and are having a
problem with this.  A few users are creating postscript files on their
Macs and then uploading them to the Sun and printing them.  The result is
either nothing after the burst page or a copy of the postscript file.  We
cannot get the document to print properly.  The first line is
'%!PS-Adobe-2.0' although I have tried also '%!', '%!PS-Adobe-1.0', and
'!%PS-Adobe'.  Has anyone else seen this?

Doug O'Neal                  Distributed Systems Programmer
Homewood Academic Computing  doug@jhuvms.bitnet, doug@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu
Johns Hopkins University     mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!doug

gray@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Gray Watson) (02/06/90)

In article <4495@brazos.Rice.edu> doug@JHUVMS.BITNET writes:
>A few users are creating postscript files on their
>Macs and then uploading them to the Sun and printing them.  The result is
>either nothing after the burst page or a copy of the postscript file.  We
>cannot get the document to print properly.

I have had many problems printing Mac postscript to Unix based Postscript
printers.  I finally found a header file that if cat'ed ahead of most Mac
files would produce correct output.

I can send a copy to interested parties or I can post it.

gray

fchan@vlsi.waterloo.edu (Francis Chan) (02/06/90)

>That sounds right but we have a Sun running transcript and are having a
>problem with this.  A few users are creating postscript files on their
>Macs and then uploading them to the Sun and printing them.  The result is
>either nothing after the burst page or a copy of the postscript file.  We
>cannot get the document to print properly.  The first line is
>'%!PS-Adobe-2.0' although I have tried also '%!', '%!PS-Adobe-1.0', and
>'!%PS-Adobe'.  Has anyone else seen this?
>
>Doug O'Neal                  Distributed Systems Programmer

I'm assuming that you have a Sun/Apple Laserwriter (I don't know if any
other PS printer has messages coming back). If you can get a hold of the
offending PS file and know which port it is attached to: (e.g. /dev/ttya)
just do this on 2 separate sessions (or windows):

First: cat < /dev/ttya

Second: cat PSfile > /dev/ttya

It should say something like:
%%[ error: <cause of error>]
%%[ <ignore rest of file>]

Usually it's an unknown command word. To get even more info, set up the
ttya as a Hayes compatible modem port to a remote UNIX system. Use tip on
the port and go into the PS printer's interactive mode by typing:

executive<CR>

You can now enter commands one line at a time to see what the problem is.

I also heard from a friend, that there is something missing in the Mac PS
files. Apparently you have to run it through some sort of macro
preprocessor before sending it to the printer. This can be made available
via anonymous ftp on his machine if anyone wishes (Send me email).

Francis Chan