[comp.sys.sun] Screendump Problems

MCMILLAN@gmr.com (02/03/90)

I'm tying to get my screendump (and also the network's dumpregion) to work
on my 3/60 color system.  The screendump results in a WRONG color map, and
no text in tty windows.  Dumpregion is similar, but with the correct color
map (i think).  I've done nothing special to my system (i.e., it's all
factory specs).

Any ideas, anyone??  please help!!!!

Don Mcmillan
GM Research Labs
mcmillan@gmr.com

msm@uunet.uu.net (Michael S. Maiten) (02/08/90)

In SUN SPOTS DIGEST v9n28, it was asked:
>From:    MCMILLAN@gmr.com
>
>I'm tying to get my screendump (and also the network's dumpregion) to work
>on my 3/60 color system.  The screendump results in a WRONG color map, and
>no text in tty windows.  Dumpregion is similar, but with the correct color
>map (i think).  I've done nothing special to my system (i.e., it's all
>factory specs).

I have also encountered this problem and reported it to SUN.

It is officially bug #1014161 which is that screendump does not work
properly with a cgfour device.  It can either dump color or the overlay
plane, but not both.  Sun said that it is fixed in OS 4.1, but there is no
patch for 4.0.3.  A work around is to run suntools entirely in the color
plane (-8bit_color_only) but this results in everything running slower.
If you did not need the color displayed nor dumped, you could run
everything in the overlay plane (-overlay_only).

Michael S. Maiten                 Internet:    msm%ensys@bridge2.esd.3com.com
Energetic Systems                       or:    msm%ensys@silvlis.com
Telephone: +1 415 964-9746        UUCP:        {sun!silvlis,bridge2}!ensys!msm