[comp.sys.sun] Problems installing CDC Wren VI

S1.FXK@isumvs.iastate.edu (FRITZ KEINERT) (02/01/90)

The  relationship  between minor device numbers (as far as the Sun OS is
concerned) and the device number that the drive is jumpered to is this:
minor  device  number  =  8  * drive number. Thus, the Wren VI jumpered
to position 1 should be major device 7 (or whatever), minor device  8.
During boot, our machine shows something like "device sd2 master 7 slave
8" or whatever it is. Anyway, our Wren VI, jumpered to position 1, is
known to the system as sd2.

Don't ask me why, but that is Sun's default. We generated a new kernel
that calls the drive sd1, but the we realized that all new OS distribution
tapes come with the other setting, which might create total confusion.

Hope this helps
Fritz Keinert                         s1.fxk@isumvs.bitnet
Department of Mathematics             s1fxk@vaxd.iastate.edu
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011                        phone:(515) 294-5128

geof@aurora.com (Geoffrey H. Cooper) (02/08/90)

In article <4673@brazos.Rice.edu> S1.FXK@isumvs.iastate.edu (FRITZ KEINERT) writes:

>The  relationship  between minor device numbers (as far as the Sun OS is
>concerned) and the device number that the drive is jumpered to is this:
>minor  device  number  =  8  * drive number. Thus, the Wren VI jumpered
>to position 1 should be major device 7 (or whatever), minor device  8.
>During boot, our machine shows something like "device sd2 master 7 slave
>8" or whatever it is. Anyway, our Wren VI, jumpered to position 1, is
>known to the system as sd2.

I also noticed this sort of behavior.  I believe it is because Sun is
mapping the internal drives to sd0 and sd1, leaving sd2 and sd3 for
external.  Our Wren VI's are jumpered to zero, and I was surprised to find
that this caused them to be sd3.  It looks like Sun is internally mapping
the drive numbers to 3-drive#.

Anyway, my SS1 monitor is perfectly content to boot off sd3a, so there is
really no problem (setenv boot-from sd(0,3,0)vmunix).

geof@aurora.com / aurora!geof@decwrl.dec.com / geof%aurora.com@decwrl.dec.com