[comp.sys.sun] Where is getopts

dna@math.psu.edu (Douglas N. Arnold) (02/02/90)

The manual page for getopt(1) states that "This command is available with
the System V software installation option" and that "getopts(1) is
preferred".  The manual page for getopts(1) doesn't indicate any
restrictions on availability.  However under several versions of Sun OS
(3.2, 3.5, 4.0.3), there doesn't seem to be any program getopts, only a
manual page.  Does anyone know why this is or where I can find a getopts
program compliant with the Sun manual page?  Thanks.

  -- Doug Arnold,  dna@math.psu.edu

chet@po.cwru.edu (02/08/90)

In article <4658@brazos.Rice.edu> dna@math.psu.edu (Douglas N. Arnold) writes:

	[Complains that he can find only a manual page for `getopts']

>Does anyone know why this is or where I can find a getopts
>program compliant with the Sun manual page?  Thanks.

Beginning with the SVR3 /bin/sh, from which the SunOS 4.x /bin/sh is
derived, `getopts' is a shell builtin.  It doesn't exist for SunOS 3.x.

Chet Ramey				"Can't you pay a grad student to
Network Services Group			 read the manual for you?"
Case Western Reserve University			-- Bill Wisner,
chet@ins.CWRU.Edu				   	to Peter Honeyman