[comp.sys.sun] Imagen and Mac and Sun

carlo@cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) (02/02/90)

We have a Sun network spooling stuff to an Imagen printer, which we would
like to be a printer for our Mac. Does anyone out there know if it's
possible in any way to connect the Mac's printer port to the Sun's serial
port and make the Sun spool stuff to the Imagen on behalf of the Mac? Any
solution would be welcome, software as well as hardware.

On a more general (and potentially expensive) note: how does one go about
finding out about networking solutions to integrate Macs, PCs and Suns, as
well as PostScript and non-PostScript printers together?  I know nifty
things exist (like TOPS, Ethernet cards etc.) and have used hem before,
but if I have to spend a couple of thousand dollars on this, I would like
to know what all my options are. Can anyone help or refer me to a good
book/tech notes/company blurb?

Thanks a million.
Carlo.

mkatz@Sesame.Stanford.EDU (Morris Katz) (02/09/90)

In article <4670@brazos.Rice.edu>, carlo@cvs (Carlo Tiana) writes:
>We have a Sun network spooling stuff to an Imagen printer, which we would
>like to be a printer for our Mac. Does anyone out there know if it's
>possible in any way to connect the Mac's printer port to the Sun's serial
>port and make the Sun spool stuff to the Imagen on behalf of the Mac? Any
>solution would be welcome, software as well as hardware.

Assuming you have your Macs and your Sun both connected to the same net,
there is a public domain solution.  You will either need all devices an
ethernet (i.e., ethertalk boards in your Macs) or an ethernet to localtalk
gateway (e.g., a kinetics fastpath box).  You can then run KIP and CAP.
The combination of these two packages enables you Sun to talk appletalk
protocols and the CAP package includes a program LWSRV which is a virtual
LaserWriter that is made available to the Macs but spools to the Sun.