[comp.sys.sun] Maxtor XT-8760E + Emulex MD21 = HELP ME please!!

holla@gatech.edu (Craig Hollabaugh) (01/28/90)

I am having problems formatting with the setup below.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Sun 3/260 with SunOS 4.0.3
Emulex MD21 disk controller
Micropolis 1558 (original disk)
Maxtor XT8760E (additional disk)

the Micropolis disk is the original drive that came with the Sun. It has
been working fine for 6 months.

I am having problems formatting the Maxtor as an additional drive for our
system.

Please oh please, I need someone's help

thanks

Craig Hollabaugh
Analog Microelectronics, Georgia Tech
holla@eedsp.gatech.edu
(404)873-5693,894-2908#6

weber@cg-atla.agfa.com (Jeff Weber) (02/05/90)

In article <4483@brazos.Rice.edu> eedsp!holla@gatech.edu (Craig Hollabaugh) writes:

>I am having problems formatting with the setup below.  Any suggestions
>would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Sun 3/260 with SunOS 4.0.3
>Emulex MD21 disk controller
>Micropolis 1558 (original disk)
>Maxtor XT8760E (additional disk)

Well let's see......

One: the MD-21 doesn't support being connected to two different types of
     disks (1558 vs XT-8760)
Two: The MD-21 may not have the firmware to support such a large disk (rev
     E or later I think)
Three: The documentation for the MD-21 may well be wrong for that disk

Regards, Jeff Weber

Just because the cables fit doesn't mean it works!

joey@uunet.uu.net (Joe Pruett) (02/09/90)

I've seen it mentioned multiple times that the MD-21 won't support two
different drives at once.  I've been able to do this for the Micropolis
1355 and 1558 with no trouble.

Maybe there are different ROM versions that don't work, or maybe
certain combinations work and others don't, but it is possible, at
least, for the combination I mentioned above.

The main thing to worry about is making sure you only have the last
drive in the chain terminated.