[comp.sys.sun] XY753 on 4/330

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (02/08/90)

Since this subject was brought up a while back, and I don't think there
was a definite answer from someone really knowledgeable, I am posting this
just after performing such an installation.

Actually, it worked quite well, I put the XY753 (6U VME board) into slot
5. Do not try putting it into slot 4, there is a metal lip which is part
of the frame that will short out the back side of the controller. Besides,
in slot 5, there are no jumper to worry about.

I am still not sure about the power supply problem, Sun should have it
fixed about now, so new systems should be OK. There was supposed to be a
spare part that can be purchased for older systems to upgrade the power
supply, check with you salesman.

Contrary to what I remember somebody posting before about the 4/330 boot
rom not being able to boot from the drive (XD), this is false. The CPU
board is EXACTLY the same as that in a 4/370, and it boots fine off XD0.

So, if you are looking for a way to not pay Sun's high prices for mass
storage, this is it.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

weber@cg-atla.agfa.com (Jeff Weber) (02/09/90)

In article <4821@brazos.Rice.edu> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:

>Since this subject was brought up a while back, and I don't think there
>was a definite answer from someone really knowledgeable, I am posting this
>just after performing such an installation.

GOOD.

>Actually, it worked quite well, I put the XY753 (6U VME board) into slot

	Stuffa deleta..

>Contrary to what I remember somebody posting before about the 4/330 boot
>rom not being able to boot from the drive (XD), this is false. The CPU
>board is EXACTLY the same as that in a 4/370, and it boots fine off XD0.

WRONGO!  I was the poster of that problem....The correct answer is:  "IT
WORKS NOW" with the later version of the boot ROMS! Early machines were
shipped with a set of ROMS that DID NOT SUPPORT booting anything other
than SCSI.  Going first has its rewards!  But no one was supposed to
notice I guess.....(cute how they do that) So, all that chatter about "its
supposed to" only applied to later machines that met "spec" which,
obviously, the early machines didn't.  My next 5 worked ok.  I guess the
moral to the story is:

There's Sun's company line, there's Net Truth, And then there's what's
actually sitting in your lab.