[net.news.group] What happens when posting to the new mod.* groups

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (11/06/85)

Well.

I installed the new moderators list today.  To make sure I was able
to use it (I've never tested the feature since installing news a few
months ago) I posted the following to mod.computers.appletalk:

=================
Subject: testing forwarding of new moderators list
To: micropro!well!info-applebus@c.cs.cmu.edu
Newsgroups: mod.protocols.appletalk

Dear moderator,

Please do not post this to your newsgroup.  I would appreciate a return
mail that you received this note.

Thank you,
---
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development
	      {ucbvax,decwrl}!dual! \
{ptsfa,hplabs,glacier,lll-crg}!well! -- micropro!kepler!mojo
=================

I think you'll agree that this will cause some confusion.  Here's what
happened:

=================
From uucp Tue Nov  5 17:10:26 1985
Date: Tue,  5 Nov 85 19:37:02 EST
From: "Devon S. McCullough" <well!lll-crg!MIT-MC.ARPA!DEVON>
To: well!micropro!kepler!mojo@LLL-CRG.ARPA

Gee, I didn't know I was a moderator!  I guess info-applebus gets here direct.

=================
From uucp Tue Nov  5 17:10:19 1985
Date: 5 Nov 1985 16:26-PST
Sender: well!lll-crg!SRI-CSL.ARPA!GEOFF
Subject: Re: testing forwarding of new moderators list
From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow <well!lll-crg!SRI-CSL.ARPA!Geoff>
To: well!micropro!kepler!mojo@LLL-CRG.ARPA

    Date: Tue, 5 Nov 85 14:06:46 pst
    From: well!micropro!kepler!mojo@lll-crg.ARPA
    To: micropro!well!info-applebus@c.cs.cmu.edu
    Newsgroups: mod.protocols.appletalk

    Dear moderator,

    Please do not post this to your newsgroup.  I would appreciate a return
    mail that you received this note.

    Thank you,
    ---
    Mojo
    ... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development
		   {ucbvax,decwrl}!dual! \
    {ptsfa,hplabs,glacier,lll-crg}!well! -- micropro!kepler!mojo

i got it, as you can see.

=================
From uucp Tue Nov  5 17:10:12 1985
Date: Tue 5 Nov 85 18:55:16-EST
From: The Mailer Daemon <well!lll-crg!C.CS.CMU.EDU!Mailer>
To: well!micropro!kepler!mojo@LLL-CRG.ARPA
Subject: Message of 5-Nov-85 18:01:59

Message failed for the following:
incoming-info-applebus@COLUMBIA.EDU: 550 cower... User unknown
	    ------------
From: well!micropro!kepler!mojo@lll-crg.ARPA
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 85 14:06:46 pst
Newsgroups: mod.protocols.appletalk
To: micropro!well!info-applebus@c.cs.cmu.edu

Dear moderator,

Please do not post this to your newsgroup.  I would appreciate a return
mail that you received this note.

Thank you,
---
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development
               {ucbvax,decwrl}!dual! \
{ptsfa,hplabs,glacier,lll-crg}!well! -- micropro!kepler!mojo

-------

=================
From uucp Tue Nov  5 17:10:05 1985
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 85 15:58:38 pst
From: Joel West <well!lll-crg!nosc.ARPA!westjw@frog>
To: well!micropro!kepler!mojo@lll-crg.ARPA

Yeah I got this.  I'm on the info-applebus mailing list
at
	info-applebus@c.cs.cmu.edu

	Joel West	CACI, Inc. - Federal
	westjw@nosc.ARPA
	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!noscvax!westjw

=================
From uucp Tue Nov  5 17:09:57 1985
Date: Tue 5 Nov 85 18:17:27-EST
From: The Mailer Daemon <well!lll-crg!C.CS.CMU.EDU!Mailer>
To: well!micropro!kepler!mojo@LLL-CRG.ARPA

Message failed for the following:
inmail@williams.bitnet: 550 Host name "williams" unknown, recipient rejected*
	    ------------
From: well!micropro!kepler!mojo@lll-crg.ARPA
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 85 14:06:46 pst
Newsgroups: mod.protocols.appletalk
To: micropro!well!info-applebus@c.cs.cmu.edu

Dear moderator,

Please do not post this to your newsgroup.  I would appreciate a return
mail that you received this note.

Thank you,
---
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development
               {ucbvax,decwrl}!dual! \
{ptsfa,hplabs,glacier,lll-crg}!well! -- micropro!kepler!mojo

-------

=================

Thanks for your patience.

--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development
               {ucbvax,decwrl}!dual! \
{ptsfa,hplabs,glacier,lll-crg}!well! -- micropro!kepler!mojo

reid@Glacier.ARPA (Brian Reid) (11/06/85)

This is a perfect example of why it was a dumb idea to convert the fa groups
into mod groups. info-applebus is not a moderated group, it is an ARPAnet
mailing list with a "mail reflector".

Whenever you try to make one thing masquerade as something it's not, whether
it has to do with computers or with cutlery, people are going to be fooled.
A group with the name "mod.xxx" should have a moderator, and many (most) of
these ARPAnet groups do not have moderators.
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/06/85)

> Well.
>
> I installed the new moderators list today.  To make sure I was able
> to use it (I've never tested the feature since installing news a few
> months ago) I posted the following to mod.computers.appletalk:

What did you expect?  The whole purpose of the mod kludge was to
direct mail towards the ARPA gateway.  No one said that there was
a human associated with these lists.  Perhaps the MOD groups that
are really ex-fa.* groups should be marked as such on the list
(if they aren't already).

-Ron

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/08/85)

> This is a perfect example of why it was a dumb idea to convert the fa groups
> into mod groups. info-applebus is not a moderated group, it is an ARPAnet
> mailing list with a "mail reflector".
>
> Whenever you try to make one thing masquerade as something it's not, whether
> it has to do with computers or with cutlery, people are going to be fooled.
> A group with the name "mod.xxx" should have a moderator, and many (most) of
> these ARPAnet groups do not have moderators.

Unfortunately, only very small communities of the USENET communities
knew how to back mail to submit to fa.* groups.  Mod.* things were
a known quantity.

However, this was all discussed before, and people knew before hand that
this was likely to happen.

-Ron

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (11/10/85)

If anybody would bother to read the "moderators" and "active lists"
articles I post to mod.newslists and net.announce.newusers they would
see that I describe:  1) what happens when you try to post to a "mod"
group; and,  2) that some mod groups are simply mail reflectors with no
moderator.

The same was stated in one of the articles posted about the changeover.

If any of you have a better way of phrasing the document, send it to
me and I will consider incorporating it into the "modertors" list
and/or the "active" list.  If your problem is simply one of not
bother to read the docuementation, then don't complain if things
don't work the way you think they do.
--
Gene "wedding done, thesis to go" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) (11/12/85)

In article <1929@gatech.CSNET> spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) writes:
>If anybody would bother to read the "moderators" and "active lists"
>articles I post to mod.newslists and net.announce.newusers they would
>see that I describe:  1) what happens when you try to post to a "mod"
>group; and,  2) that some mod groups are simply mail reflectors with no
>moderator.

Gene, I knew what to expect when I posted my test to mod.protocols.appletalk.

The point of my posting here is that THESE GROUPS ARE NOT MODERATED.

It amazes me that Erik was such a stickler for accurate naming of the groups
while continuing to call them mod groups.  They aren't moderated.

Now I like the arrangement of these groups.  But I think there should be
a moderator controlling the gateway between the mailing list and USENET.

Suggestion:  Get moderators for the new groups, located at a gateway site.

--
Mojo
... Morris Jones, MicroPro Product Development
{ptsfa,hplabs,glacier,lll-crg}!well!micropro!kepler!mojo
               {ucbvax,decwrl}!dual!micropro!kepler!mojo

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (11/18/85)

In article <356@kepler.UUCP> mojo@kepler.UUCP (Morris Jones) writes:

>Gene, I knew what to expect when I posted my test to mod.protocols.appletalk.
>
>The point of my posting here is that THESE GROUPS ARE NOT MODERATED.

This has since been fixed in the case of mod.protocols.appletalk.

I kept seeing edicts to the effect that DARPA actually required these list
to be moderated, but I didn't really worry too much until recently, when I
discovered that the USENET's idea of the 'moderator' of the list was
info-applebus@cmu-cs-c rather than info-applebus-request@cmu-cs-c.

(In my view this is incorrect, but I have since made 'info-applebus' indirect
through me rather than the distribution list, so go right on posting to
mod.protocols.appletalk.  Other lists will have to live with 'inappropriate
postings' or install moderation as well.

					- Ralph

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/19/85)

> I kept seeing edicts to the effect that DARPA actually required these list
> to be moderated, but I didn't really worry too much until recently, when I
> discovered that the USENET's idea of the 'moderator' of the list was
> info-applebus@cmu-cs-c rather than info-applebus-request@cmu-cs-c.

There is nothing that says an ARPANET mailing list needs to moderated.
Most of them aren't.  The problem was that everybody's USENET news code
was broken with respect to fa.* groups so a kludge was done with the mod.*
groups.  There are still quite a few groups that are automatically forwarded
into ARPANET.  Net.micro <-> INFO-MICRO, net.unix-wizards <-> UNIX-WIZARDS,
and net.unix <-> INFO-UNIX, etc...

> (In my view this is incorrect, but I have since made 'info-applebus' indirect
> through me rather than the distribution list, so go right on posting to
> mod.protocols.appletalk.  Other lists will have to live with 'inappropriate
> postings' or install moderation as well.

Or they will just turn off the USENET gateway.  Please exercise some
restraint.

-Ron