[comp.sys.sun] booting across subnets

gary@uunet.uu.net (Gary Cattelino) (02/10/90)

The conversation about getting ypbind to work across subnets got me to
wondering about booting diskless clients from a server that's not on the
same brodcast net.  Will the RARP packet get to the server on the other
network or not?  If not, how do machines boot across subnets?

      Gary A. Cattelino                  Unocal Science & Technology Division
      Phone: (714) 528-7201 x2715        376 S. Valencia Avenue
      UUCP: uunet!zardoz!cerveza!gary    Brea, CA 92621
            sun!sunkist!cerveza!gary     INTERNET: gary@unocal.COM

wytten@cs.umn.edu (Dale R. Wyttenbach) (02/15/90)

In article <4959@brazos.Rice.edu> zardoz!cerveza!gary@uunet.uu.net (Gary Cattelino) writes:
>The conversation about getting ypbind to work across subnets got me to
>wondering about booting diskless clients from a server that's not on the
>same brodcast net.  Will the RARP packet get to the server on the other
>network or not?

No

>If not, how do machines boot across subnets?

Put something like the following in the client's rc.local:

	if [ -f /usr/etc/ypbind ]; then
		/usr/etc/ypbind && (echo -n ' ypbind')		>/dev/console
# set yp server
		/usr/etc/yp/ypset (IP_ADDRESS_OF_YP_SERVER)
	fi

 Dale Wyttenbach		     |		...rutgers!umn-cs!wytten
 wytten@cs.umn.edu		     |		   wytten@umnacvx.bitnet
Computer Science Department Systems Staff--University of Minnesota, Minneapolis