[comp.sys.sun] Is there an Ansi C compiler for Sun Workstations?

rcw@scicom.alphacdc.com (Robert White) (02/03/90)

The Subject says it all.  If you are aware of one, please let me know from
whom and how much if possible.  Please email as I don't read this group
frequently.

Thanks in advance,
Robert White
rcw@scicom.alphacdc.com

bob@morningstar.com (Bob Sutterfield) (02/08/90)

| From: rcw@scicom.alphacdc.com (Robert White)
|
| If you are aware of one, please let me know from whom and how much
| if possible.

The GNU C compiler, which runs on the Sun-2, -3, -4, and -386i, can be
ANSI-compilant.  It's free.  Get it via FTP from prep.ai.mit.edu or via
UUCP from osu-cis.

tonyg@cis.ohio-state.edu (Tony Gast) (02/17/90)

In article <4830@brazos.Rice.edu>, bob@morningstar.com (Bob Sutterfield)
writes:
> | From: rcw@scicom.alphacdc.com (Robert White)
> |
> | If you are aware of one, please let me know from whom and how much
> | if possible.
>
> The GNU C compiler, which runs on the Sun-2, -3, -4, and -386i, can be
> ANSI-compilant.  It's free.  Get it via FTP from prep.ai.mit.edu or via
> UUCP from osu-cis.

If I understand correctly, you cannot sell anything compiled (developed
too?) with gcc.  Does anyone know of a commercial ANSI-compliant compiler?

Tony Gast                                               (513) 865-1089
Mead Data Central                                 Customer Environment
P.O. Box 933                                   mead!tonyg@uccba.uc.edu
Dayton, Ohio  45401                               ...!uccba!mead!tonyg

bob@morningstar.com (Bob Sutterfield) (02/20/90)

| From: mead!tonyg@uccba.uc.edu (Tony Gast)
|
| If I understand correctly, you cannot sell anything compiled
| (developed too?) with gcc.

This is incorrect.  I hope not to start a tangent most appropriate for
gnu.misc.discuss (if anywhere), but your work is yours to do with as you
like, regardless of what compiler you may have used.  Write to
gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu if you'd like a copy of the GNU Public License to
study.

beaulieu@uunet.uu.net (Larry Beaulieu) (02/20/90)

In article <5060@brazos.Rice.edu>, mead!tonyg@cis.ohio-state.edu (Tony Gast) writes:
> In article <4830@brazos.Rice.edu>, bob@morningstar.com (Bob Sutterfield)
> writes:
> If I understand correctly, you cannot sell anything compiled (developed
> too?) with gcc.  Does anyone know of a commercial ANSI-compliant compiler?

The Oregon C++ compiler has a switch which will enable you to compile ANSI
standard C code.  It also handles K&R, as well as (obviously) C++.  At the
moment it is only available for Sun-3's, but a Sparc version will
supposedly be available Real Soon Now.