[comp.sys.sun] Halp! SunLink DNI 6.0 problems on 4/60c

jet@tramp.math.uh.edu (j. eric townsend) (02/18/90)

(I installed it from 1/2in tape by dd < dev > file, then untared the
files.  If you can tell me why that'd be the cause of some of these
problems, please do.)

1.  There're no man pages, to the best of my knowledge.

2.  dnilogind doesn't get started automatically, so I ran it with no
    arguments.  I still can't log in from another decnet site (I can dnilogin
    out, however).

3.  Is there no LAT support?  I bought it assuming there would be.  (I
    know, never assume, especially with computer vendors.)

4.  ncp is pretty broken, imho.  There seems to be no way to copy a
    database from another decnet node.

Hey Sun, after paying $600 for SunLink DNI 6.0, I feel ripped off in a
major way.

J. Eric Townsend
University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics
jet@karazm.math.uh.edu
Skate UNIX(tm).

wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) (02/20/90)

In article <5093@brazos.Rice.edu>, jet@tramp (j. eric townsend) writes:
>(I installed it from 1/2in tape by dd < dev > file, then untared the
>files.  If you can tell me why that'd be the cause of some of these
>problems, please do.)

>1.  There're no man pages, to the best of my knowledge.

SMI brain death.

>2.  dnilogind doesn't get started automatically, so I ran it with no
>    arguments.  I still can't log in from another decnet site (I can dnilogin
>    out, however).

Run dniserver. It's like inetd for DNI.

>3.  Is there no LAT support?  I bought it assuming there would be.  (I
>    know, never assume, especially with computer vendors.)

No. SMI brain death.

>4.  ncp is pretty broken, imho.  There seems to be no way to copy a
>    database from another decnet node.

Yes, it is. SMI brain death.

>Hey Sun, after paying $600 for SunLink DNI 6.0, I feel ripped off in a
>major way.

And, a gripe of my own. SunLink DNI can only connect directly to DECNET
sites on the local Ethernet. Real DECNET is smart enough to route packets
appropriately.

Overall, SunLink DNI a major disappointment.

Bill Wisner <wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (02/21/90)

In article <5122@brazos.Rice.edu>, wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu writes:
>In article <5093@brazos.Rice.edu>, jet@tramp (j. eric townsend) writes:
>SMI brain death.
>No. SMI brain death.
>Yes, it is. SMI brain death.

>>Hey Sun, after paying $600 for SunLink DNI 6.0, I feel ripped off in a
>>major way.

>And, a gripe of my own. SunLink DNI can only connect directly to DECNET
>sites on the local Ethernet. Real DECNET is smart enough to route packets
>appropriately.
>Overall, SunLink DNI a major disappointment.

Right.  Time for us to cancel our order of DNI, that is, if we can find a
better product.  What other Decnet software is there for the Sun 4/60?
Specifically, we need decnet login and LAT terminal service.

J. Eric Townsend
University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
jet@karazm.math.uh.edu
Skate UNIX(tm).

mdavcr@wimsey.bc.ca (02/22/90)

In article <5148@brazos.Rice.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

[ ... stuff deleted ... ]
>Right.  Time for us to cancel our order of DNI, that is, if we can find a
>better product.  What other Decnet software is there for the Sun 4/60?
>Specifically, we need decnet login and LAT terminal service.

You might want to take a look at Ki Research's DEKnet and LAT products.
Digital Review gave their DEKnet a better rating than DEC's own product.
We use their LAT product and find it useful in connecting to our Suns from
LAT terminal servers and for accessing LAT-based printers from Unix.
We've found a number of bugs in their LAT implementation but they seem
eager to address them.