[comp.sys.sun] XView C++ header files

susan@beppe6.ericsson.se (Susan Cohen) (02/26/90)

We need to have C++ header files for XView.  Our local Sun representatives
tell us such files are not currently available from Sun.  Before we embark
on creating them ourselves, I was wondering if someone has already done
this.  If so, I'd like to either a) get a copy, b) hear how it was to
create the files.

Susan J. Cohen                          susan@beppe.ericsson.se
Ericsson Telecomm AB                    susan%beppe.ericsson.se@uunet.uu.net

mike@stevenage.dynamics.british-aerospace.co.uk (Mike Heley) (02/28/90)

In v9n54, Susan J. Cohen writes:

> We need to have C++ header files for XView.  Our local Sun representatives
> tell us such files are not currently available from Sun.  Before we embark
> on creating them ourselves, I was wondering if someone has already done
> this.  If so, I'd like to either a) get a copy, b) hear how it was to
> create the files.

As part of the development of a set of CASE tools written in C++ on Suns,
I required a window toolkit usable from C++. I also wanted the "Open Look"
style, so I decided to go with XView.

It was a fairly trivial exercise to add function prototypes to the header
files.  There were a couple of other syntax problems I encountered, but
nothing serious. When I inquired, Sun informed me that C++ and ANSI C
compatible headers will be available with a future release, but not which
release, or when.

Possibly of more interest to you is an XView C++ class library that I have
developed to allow XView to be used in a more C++ like style.  Here are
some of the features:-

  - Each XView object has an associated C++ class.
  - The same varargs style attribute/value interface is supported.
  - The toolkit may be used by deriving classes from those provided.
  - Notification/event handling may be performed by C++ virtual member
    functions.
  - Performance is not noticeably different from using the C interface.
  - The XView toolkit is not modified in any way, other than the addition
    of the prototypes to the headers.

I am currently moving the toolkit onto X11R4 and XView 1.0.1. At the
moment it is only used internally, but another UK company is going to
exercise it for me asap. I hope to release a product shortly after this.

Mail me directly if you are interested ,or would like to be notified when
it is available.

If you *still* only want the modified header files, I guess I could help
you out now.

  M. J. Heley, British Aerospace (Dynamics) Ltd.  PB 230,
  PO Box 19, Six Hills Way, Stevenage, SG1 2DA, UK.
  Tel  : +44 438 752432                Fax : +44 438 753377
  Email: mike@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk        UUCP: ...ukc!bae-st!mike